I have a Max scene that I need to import into SI. I really only need the geometry, surfacing and animation are not required.
Is there any good, free/cheap way to do this. I don't have Max, obviously.
Suggestions?
Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
I dont have any suggestion if not download max trial and export it as fbx or obj 
Dont think there is any other software that reads .max files
Dont think there is any other software that reads .max files
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
EDIT: skip, not true
File>Import>Import FBX>change filetype to .max
Yeah, I was surprised too when Stephen Blair pointed it out...
File>Import>Import FBX>change filetype to .max
Yeah, I was surprised too when Stephen Blair pointed it out...
Last edited by bottleofram on 06 Jan 2012, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
I can't test this right now, but are you sure about the "max" file format?
The only recent post I can recall was on the xsibase, where Luc-Eric Rousseau (not Stephen Blair) mentioned the "FBX route", in this thread and there he spoke of importing 3ds files into Softimage...
But I may just have missed a similar post by Stephen Blair...
(I actually hope I have, hidden features are always nice to have)
;)
The only recent post I can recall was on the xsibase, where Luc-Eric Rousseau (not Stephen Blair) mentioned the "FBX route", in this thread and there he spoke of importing 3ds files into Softimage...
But I may just have missed a similar post by Stephen Blair...
(I actually hope I have, hidden features are always nice to have)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
I guess the trial version might be the way to go. Didn't really want to install that behemoth but might not have a choice.
I tried the FBX route but there isn't a .max file option and when I just type in the name it won't read it. Unless I'm missing something this doesn't work. Stephen must have been referring to .3ds files.
This is something SI really desperately needs in my opinion. The "send to" functions are nice and all but only if you have Max.
I tried the FBX route but there isn't a .max file option and when I just type in the name it won't read it. Unless I'm missing something this doesn't work. Stephen must have been referring to .3ds files.
This is something SI really desperately needs in my opinion. The "send to" functions are nice and all but only if you have Max.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
Hi all,
I've seen this confusion about 3DSMAX fileformats popping up recently on several forums, started by someone who apparently doesn't read properly...
Again.... .3ds is -NOT- the native fileformat for 3DSMAX scenes. It is an archaic fileformat over 20 years old, coming from the granddaddy of 3D, 3DStudio DOS. Yes... DOS......http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
Yes... 3DSMAX can open .3ds files, but with the 8 bit file format, resulting in limited shader and texture functionality you should look elsewhere for conversions.
Also, the 3DSMAX .max format is, like the SI .scn format, a 'container' format that can only be read by the application itself.
It basically contains a list of code, that will reassemble the scene when opening the file.
So, to answer the question, for .max files you need a copy of 3DSMAX installed.
For exporting, or using the Send To... option.
Even converter tools like Polytrans need a copy of 3DSMAX installed, or they cannot read and convert it.
And the named thread about importing via FBX was about the .3ds fileformat.
When SI moved over to 64 bit, the default import option for .3ds files was removed from the File menu.
A unsupported way is to do this via the import>FBX option.
Hope this helps,
rob
I've seen this confusion about 3DSMAX fileformats popping up recently on several forums, started by someone who apparently doesn't read properly...
Again.... .3ds is -NOT- the native fileformat for 3DSMAX scenes. It is an archaic fileformat over 20 years old, coming from the granddaddy of 3D, 3DStudio DOS. Yes... DOS......http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
Yes... 3DSMAX can open .3ds files, but with the 8 bit file format, resulting in limited shader and texture functionality you should look elsewhere for conversions.
Also, the 3DSMAX .max format is, like the SI .scn format, a 'container' format that can only be read by the application itself.
It basically contains a list of code, that will reassemble the scene when opening the file.
So, to answer the question, for .max files you need a copy of 3DSMAX installed.
For exporting, or using the Send To... option.
Even converter tools like Polytrans need a copy of 3DSMAX installed, or they cannot read and convert it.
And the named thread about importing via FBX was about the .3ds fileformat.
When SI moved over to 64 bit, the default import option for .3ds files was removed from the File menu.
A unsupported way is to do this via the import>FBX option.
Hope this helps,
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
I raise my hand in apology; completely responsible for the confusion. Although, only in this thread - haven't done it elsewhere, honest.Rork wrote:Hi all,
I've seen this confusion about 3DSMAX fileformats popping up recently on several forums, started by someone who apparently doesn't read properly...![]()
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
No problem, I wish it were true! There is so much content available only in .max format it's frustrating. I wish someone would come up with a solution but would likely be a massive undertaking and a pain to keep it up to date. Even if it could just extract the geometry and maybe UV's it would be nice.
Anyway, this situation has been solved by the provider converting to .obj for me.
Thanks!
Anyway, this situation has been solved by the provider converting to .obj for me.
Thanks!
-
edschiffer
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 11 May 2011, 15:02
- Location: Rio de Janeiro
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
maybe there could be a web service for converting CG files... much like http://www.filespazz.com/ converts Corel .cdr files back to .ai for free.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Max to SI (with no Max) - any good free way to do this?
Unless it's really geared towards one 3d app, eg. rigging, specific renderer/shaders etc, it's a bit odd sites do not deliver in several formats.
Fortunately most 3D library sites do deliver in multiple formats nowadays.
Be aware though that certain modeling 'tricks' by 3d apps will not work/allowed in others. For instance the one polygon trick from Lightwave will not work in Softimage.
And .max models will have a 'double edge' issue sometimes.
So, most models need some cleanup most of the time to be workable within the 3d app of choice.
If you want to move stuff over, I think .fbx is the most 'solid' one. At least you can export/import the model, UV's, textures, animation, camera's etc. all in one go.
But a converter website sounds like a good idea. And with Autodesk owning the 3 'major' ones, this would be a great way to move models inbetween apps with their own .fbx format.
Never going to happen, but we can dream.....
rob
Fortunately most 3D library sites do deliver in multiple formats nowadays.
Be aware though that certain modeling 'tricks' by 3d apps will not work/allowed in others. For instance the one polygon trick from Lightwave will not work in Softimage.
And .max models will have a 'double edge' issue sometimes.
So, most models need some cleanup most of the time to be workable within the 3d app of choice.
If you want to move stuff over, I think .fbx is the most 'solid' one. At least you can export/import the model, UV's, textures, animation, camera's etc. all in one go.
But a converter website sounds like a good idea. And with Autodesk owning the 3 'major' ones, this would be a great way to move models inbetween apps with their own .fbx format.
Never going to happen, but we can dream.....
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!