Possible to make believable fire?
-
nuverian
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
- Location: Greece
Possible to make believable fire?
I know that SI could be and is awesome for many vfx things, but really regarding creating some realistic fire, meaning to be integraded into footage, I found that I at least, can't come up to any good results. That is as far as rendering is concerned, since simulations in not an issue as far as I've seen with some great plugins out there.
(sorry if wrong category)
(sorry if wrong category)
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net
http://www.nuverian.net
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
I've seen many great fire simulations come out of ICE, e.g.
http://www.vimeo.com/28197367
http://www.vimeo.com/32081226
You will probably need either emFluid or Exocortex Slipstream to get the fluid motion right. Slipstream comes with Fury to render the point cloud, and emFluid would usually be coupled with emRPC to render.
http://www.vimeo.com/28197367
http://www.vimeo.com/32081226
You will probably need either emFluid or Exocortex Slipstream to get the fluid motion right. Slipstream comes with Fury to render the point cloud, and emFluid would usually be coupled with emRPC to render.
-
Mr.Core
- Posts: 148
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 10:35
- Skype: giga-core
- Location: Kharkov, Ukraine
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
I think that there are no chances to get realistic ( or close to realistic ) result even with all si plugins bundle, instead you will get only headache and some garbage ( as you can judge about all vimeo videos ). Just use fumefx and you will forget about fire\smoke as a trouble. Imho of course
>>since simulations in not an issue
Simulations in simage are fast but not enough quality in comparsion even with maya fluid system
>>I've seen many great fire simulations come out of ICE, e.g.
http://www.vimeo.com/28197367
http://www.vimeo.com/32081226
I am sure that the second video produced by ffx
>>since simulations in not an issue
Simulations in simage are fast but not enough quality in comparsion even with maya fluid system
>>I've seen many great fire simulations come out of ICE, e.g.
http://www.vimeo.com/28197367
http://www.vimeo.com/32081226
I am sure that the second video produced by ffx
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
Sorry, but that doesn't even make any sense.Mr.Core wrote:Simulations in simage are fast but not enough quality in comparsion even with maya fluid system
To quote the video author:I am sure that the second video produced by ffx
I'm Using ICE Particle
-
Mr.Core
- Posts: 148
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 10:35
- Skype: giga-core
- Location: Kharkov, Ukraine
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
He used ICE for driving particles, not for render
Then export to max/ drive FFX sims and render from here
Then export to max/ drive FFX sims and render from here
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
Yes, but I don't see the point. You're saying that the rendered result can only be achieved by buying a copy of 3ds and Fume FX?Mr.Core wrote:He used ICE for driving particles, not for render
Then export to max/ drive FFX sims and render from here
And what's lacking about the simulation quality?
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
mr core is right
u need copy of 3ds max and copy of fumefx
u need copy of 3ds max and copy of fumefx
-
Mr.Core
- Posts: 148
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 10:35
- Skype: giga-core
- Location: Kharkov, Ukraine
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
>>And what's lacking about the simulation quality?
I meant that with the equal containers size of ffx and emfluid - the first solver could produce much accurate result ( because emfluid based on very fast game solver I think )
Also, dont forget about wavelet turbulence and fluid mapping ( I read some comments on vimeo about the mixing dencity in Render Tree with some kind of procedural textures - it's not solution too, just take a quick look into ffx wavelets and you will see )
I meant that with the equal containers size of ffx and emfluid - the first solver could produce much accurate result ( because emfluid based on very fast game solver I think )
Also, dont forget about wavelet turbulence and fluid mapping ( I read some comments on vimeo about the mixing dencity in Render Tree with some kind of procedural textures - it's not solution too, just take a quick look into ffx wavelets and you will see )
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
there is also free blender which has fumefx alike fluids, but I dont know what about quiality/speed
-
nuverian
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
- Location: Greece
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
Thanks for feedback. Overall it was what I was afraid of: "go FumeFX". Of course that is easier said than done. Personaly I hate 3D max, but I envy some things it has which are plugins most of the time (FFX, Rayfire (i.e: Fluid, Destruction) and Pflow). Still though the first flame video posted here is very good. but the rendering+sim time is extreme. I don't know how that compares to FumeFx though.
On the other hand, I know there is an emVolume in the works by mootzoid. I can only wait and hope. If you are around here some info would be great
I won't get into the trouble of comparing to Maya fluids for fire. I think SI can bring something more believable (?)
On the other hand, I know there is an emVolume in the works by mootzoid. I can only wait and hope. If you are around here some info would be great
I won't get into the trouble of comparing to Maya fluids for fire. I think SI can bring something more believable (?)
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net
http://www.nuverian.net
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
yep, that is said... even though Mr Mootz and Exocortex have nice products they do not match the power of Fume for now 
Fume is also very well integrated with Vray and produces GI and Reflections and all that. Something you canot expect from Fury or emRPC saidly...
as you said lets hope emVolume can fix some of that...
hmm and I would not envy Pflow... really, its crap compared to ICE
Fume is also very well integrated with Vray and produces GI and Reflections and all that. Something you canot expect from Fury or emRPC saidly...
as you said lets hope emVolume can fix some of that...
hmm and I would not envy Pflow... really, its crap compared to ICE
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
-
nuverian
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
- Location: Greece
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
It is, but is more friendly for certain things, plus there is no simulation. Just scrub and see (or so I remember back then). Anyway..pflow is off topic :_P
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net
http://www.nuverian.net
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
your both statements about pflow are wrong
-
nuverian
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
- Location: Greece
Re: Possible to make believable fire?
On such a statement such as saying that something is easier than something else for one person, you can't say it's a wrong statement, but rather that you disagree. Regarding it's "scrub and see", yes I certainly could be wrong. As stated that was what I (possibly wrongfully) remember (Max 9 or so) so thanks for correcting me.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net
http://www.nuverian.net