snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 14 Dec 2011, 14:00

Hello, I'd like to snap the polygon of the image to the ground by rotating around its center axis -in this case at the botton of the polygon- but snapping options don't work. Snapping do work with translation but I need with rotation. Any help? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by origin » 14 Dec 2011, 15:09

You probably mean 3 point rotation known from cad soft? I dont think there is such tool built in xsi.

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 14 Dec 2011, 15:37

origin wrote:You probably mean 3 point rotation known from cad soft? I dont think there is such tool built in xsi.
Yes, I've just seen Autocad tip "Rotate One Object to Match Another" and that woul be great. I cant believe there is no such tool in SI... Thank you!

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by rray » 14 Dec 2011, 16:42

It could be done with a direction constraint. Snap 2 nulls to the end points of the edge you want to rotate around, and snap a third null to a point of the object that's supposed to be on the floor.

* make a direction constraint on one of the edge nulls, pointing to the other edge null. From the constraint property page, pick the third null as the upvector object.
* parent the object under the null that has the constraint
* move the third null, snap to floor
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 14 Dec 2011, 18:05

Thank you, rray! I will try your advice.

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 15 Dec 2011, 10:03

Sorry, but I still couldn't make it. I'd like one object snap to other by rotating. I'm posting an image with a simpler example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by rray » 15 Dec 2011, 11:41

The second problem you posted is more complicated and can't be solved that way (Built-in snapping tools can't do it either)

First problem you posted however can be solved using the steps I posted before.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 15 Dec 2011, 12:01

Sorry. I was looking for a solution to the first and second problem. A rotation snapping tool or plug-in, something like that.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by rray » 15 Dec 2011, 12:08

The second problem would require intersection snapping, which Softimage doesn't support (You'd create a circle and snap to the intersection of the circle and an edge)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 15 Dec 2011, 12:18

Yes, both first and second problem would be easily solved with a intersection snapping while rotating tool. However, Softimage does support intersection snapping while translating. Am I wrong?

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by rray » 15 Dec 2011, 12:24

No, snapping to intersections of elements isn't supported at all (C4D, Max, Maya don't have it either (a.faik), it's more of a CAD software feature)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 15 Dec 2011, 13:38

I meant Softimage supports snapping to intersections of components or objects when translating. If you activate snapping, you can translate one component or object towards other and when they intersect it will snap. I don't know why it doesn't happen when you rotate an edge, for example, and it reach other...

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by rray » 15 Dec 2011, 14:01

Ah ok there's a misunderstanding.. With "intersection snapping" I didn't mean the normal snapping - I meant snapping (for example) a point to the intersection point of 2 curves. This isn't supported but would be required for your second example.

The normal Softimage rotation tool doesn't know which point of the object you want to align with the rotation - so snapping couldn't work. It would have to be implemented inside the rotation tool which is difficult to do in an intuitive way for the user.... I think I'd prefer a setup like mentioned before - more versatile (For example you can use any axis to rotate).

Would be nice to have intersection snapping though for cases like in your second example.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

scaron
Posts: 119
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 03:16

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by scaron » 20 Dec 2011, 01:20

i believe this could be done as a custom tool, just like modo's rotation snapping. i will see if i can whip up a prototype.

s

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: snap rotation? not incremental snapping rotation

Post by pablogv » 22 Dec 2011, 18:13

Scaron: I will build a monument to you if you did that custom tool! Anyway thank you very much for just triying!