I was truing to learn Softimage using the Mod Tool (7.5), and was following the XSI v 5 tutorials. When I got to modeling, I found that either due to a rendering error or a bug in my install, I could not extrude an edge ring along axis. Please find the attached screenshots.
I'm using a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with an Intel graphics card. I've had issues in Wings3D with the said card, so that may be the issue.
Any help on this issue will be appreciated.
Rendering error in Mod Tool?
-
antiguy
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 09:13
Rendering error in Mod Tool?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Rendering error in Mod Tool?
It's quite probably (and sadly...) a graphics card problem. The integrated Intel chipset cause all kinds of problems and as such aren't all that useful for this kind of software.
The problem you're facing probably relates to this support article (Display problems in OpenGL viewports when using selection tools) or perhaps this one (Viewport display problems when changing subdivision). Both support pages offer a suggestion how to fix it, but I'm afraid you shouldn't get your hopes up. For instance, the fix for the first problem involves setting "the Anti-Aliasing setting for your display driver" to "Application Controlled". The driver of my own laptop's integrated Intel chipset doesn't even offer such an option...

The problem you're facing probably relates to this support article (Display problems in OpenGL viewports when using selection tools) or perhaps this one (Viewport display problems when changing subdivision). Both support pages offer a suggestion how to fix it, but I'm afraid you shouldn't get your hopes up. For instance, the fix for the first problem involves setting "the Anti-Aliasing setting for your display driver" to "Application Controlled". The driver of my own laptop's integrated Intel chipset doesn't even offer such an option...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
dwigfor
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46
Re: Rendering error in Mod Tool?
Changing OpenGL in setenv.bat will fix your problem, assuming that works with ModTool. You will still notice problems with weight maps and probably other stuff I forget, but at least your geometry won't explode.
I still can't believe they sell i5 or i7s with Intel integrated video cards. Complete waste. If getting a cheap laptop, I would always recommend AMD over Intel, since it has ATI card. I don't have that OpenGL problem with my $179 AMD 11" laptop, but I did with my $600 Intel "13...
I still can't believe they sell i5 or i7s with Intel integrated video cards. Complete waste. If getting a cheap laptop, I would always recommend AMD over Intel, since it has ATI card. I don't have that OpenGL problem with my $179 AMD 11" laptop, but I did with my $600 Intel "13...
-
antiguy
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 09:13
Re: Rendering error in Mod Tool?
How do you do this? I agree it's a video card issue because I don't have the same problems with my personal laptop which has an NVidia 9600M video card on it.dwigfor wrote:Changing OpenGL in setenv.bat will fix your problem, assuming that works with ModTool. You will still notice problems with weight maps and probably other stuff I forget, but at least your geometry won't explode.