Octane render or not?
-
curly
- Posts: 77
- Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 06:43
Octane render or not?
Hi,
I'm looking at the website of Octane Render and thinking this might be it. The problem at this moment for Softimage users is that you have to export to a Renderman RIB file format to render character animation with it. You can purchase a license of 3Ddelight and export to RIB, but otherwise their is no way to use it for character animation. In upcoming versions they seem to release it with instancing subsurface scattering. Their are some very good export tools for it to work with Softimage. But for rendering character animation you still need RIB export. I'm not a coder, so.
It has depth of field etc... It has everything we all like in professional 3D renders. Any suggestions, or has someone used in for rendering character animation?
I'm looking at the website of Octane Render and thinking this might be it. The problem at this moment for Softimage users is that you have to export to a Renderman RIB file format to render character animation with it. You can purchase a license of 3Ddelight and export to RIB, but otherwise their is no way to use it for character animation. In upcoming versions they seem to release it with instancing subsurface scattering. Their are some very good export tools for it to work with Softimage. But for rendering character animation you still need RIB export. I'm not a coder, so.
It has depth of field etc... It has everything we all like in professional 3D renders. Any suggestions, or has someone used in for rendering character animation?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Octane render or not?
I don't know about Octane, but the free version (limited to 2 cores) of 3Delight does give you the possibility to export RIB "out of the box", so I imagine, there would be no need to buy a full license, if you only use it as a RIB-exporter, as you won't be bothered by the 2 core limitation in that case anyway...
From the 3Delight download page:
From the 3Delight download page:
The downloaded software comes with one full license for free with no restriction for commercial use and is not time limited.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Octane render or not?
As Hirazi said, free version of 3delight for SI is limited only in final rendering. Actually I think the all other processes aren't limited at all - baking, exporting to RIBs, so on. About subsurface on instances, it works too. In case of ICE point cloud instances, you have to apply 3dl attribute to Point Cloud instead of instancing master, that's all.curly wrote:Hi,
I'm looking at the website of Octane Render and thinking this might be it. The problem at this moment for Softimage users is that you have to export to a Renderman RIB file format to render character animation with it. You can purchase a license of 3Ddelight and export to RIB, but otherwise their is no way to use it for character animation. In upcoming versions they seem to release it with instancing subsurface scattering. Their are some very good export tools for it to work with Softimage. But for rendering character animation you still need RIB export. I'm not a coder, so.
It has depth of field etc... It has everything we all like in professional 3D renders. Any suggestions, or has someone used in for rendering character animation?
Even I'm not sure these RIBs will render in other Renderman renderers 'just that', without issues.
Btw I've used both Mental Ray and 3delight and few others, for characters. If you ask me what renderer was best for characters, I'd say 3d studio Max Default Scanline, ten years ago
-
PeterCGS
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 21 Nov 2011, 22:00
Re: Octane render or not?
From what I know RIB wont make it into Octane. They are currently making it so your host application talks directly to Octane (Viewport rendering) thus making any export pointless.
For now though, there is a very solid Softimage Soft2Octane exporter, surely being very effective for character animation work. You won't get motionblur, but you get the rest. I've been using Octane for all my animation work this last year, and it works great. The dog in this spot is for example rendered in Octane just for the fun of it: http://vimeo.com/26580519
Exporting ICE stuff isnt tricky either: http://vimeo.com/24566771
And comping it with other passes from XSI works great aswell for dust etc (car rendered in Octane): http://vimeo.com/28063417
Newcomer alert: please use the URL tags - HB
For now though, there is a very solid Softimage Soft2Octane exporter, surely being very effective for character animation work. You won't get motionblur, but you get the rest. I've been using Octane for all my animation work this last year, and it works great. The dog in this spot is for example rendered in Octane just for the fun of it: http://vimeo.com/26580519
Exporting ICE stuff isnt tricky either: http://vimeo.com/24566771
And comping it with other passes from XSI works great aswell for dust etc (car rendered in Octane): http://vimeo.com/28063417
Newcomer alert: please use the URL tags - HB
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Octane render or not?
I'm very excited to see how that turns out, it would finally make it very useful for SI. Any rough timeline for when this might be available?They are currently making it so your host application talks directly to Octane (Viewport rendering) thus making any export pointless.
-
PeterCGS
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 21 Nov 2011, 22:00
Re: Octane render or not?
The 3DSMAX version is in Beta stage from what I know, and the others will follow shortly. I guess something will be shown atleast before the year is at end 
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Octane render or not?
Awesome! Since SI has no intention of including IRAY I think there's a great opportunity for Octane to jump in and fill that need.
No matter how great a render engine is, it's 100 times better when it's fully integrated. Looking forward to it
No matter how great a render engine is, it's 100 times better when it's fully integrated. Looking forward to it
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Octane render or not?
I would like to see a direct Octane plugin.
EDIT: Post edited in order not to spread misinformation.
EDIT: Post edited in order not to spread misinformation.
Last edited by Chris_TC on 22 Nov 2011, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Octane render or not?
Dang! That would rule me out too. I really don't like having to be connected. I work off the grid quite a bit.
-
PeterCGS
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 21 Nov 2011, 22:00
Re: Octane render or not?
This was the case many months ago, during the beta cycle. Now you only activate online ONCE if you move your license to a new machine.
You don't have to be connected after that.
They use the same online check philosophy as autodesk or Adobe and all other companies, so no need to worry. BUT its even nicer than adobe etc, because they let you change machine every 30 minutes if you like, deactivate and activate it on a new machine. After the change, you dont need internet connection.. So its all good!
You don't have to be connected after that.
They use the same online check philosophy as autodesk or Adobe and all other companies, so no need to worry. BUT its even nicer than adobe etc, because they let you change machine every 30 minutes if you like, deactivate and activate it on a new machine. After the change, you dont need internet connection.. So its all good!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Octane render or not?
Good to hear!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Octane render or not?
My 2 cents:
Sorry, but it's a ridiculous system: if there is a valid reason why your pc isn't connected to the internet, having to activate a certain software doesn't make this valid reason simply go away. I like (more or less) the current system Softimage employs using hardware-related generated codes you can take to your nearest internet connection way better than the idea of having to move my workstation to the nearest internet connection in my house...
The things some companies come up with to get you to activate the stuff YOU bought, say a lot about these companies themselves, I'm afraid...
;)
Sorry, but it's a ridiculous system: if there is a valid reason why your pc isn't connected to the internet, having to activate a certain software doesn't make this valid reason simply go away. I like (more or less) the current system Softimage employs using hardware-related generated codes you can take to your nearest internet connection way better than the idea of having to move my workstation to the nearest internet connection in my house...
The things some companies come up with to get you to activate the stuff YOU bought, say a lot about these companies themselves, I'm afraid...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
PeterCGS
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 21 Nov 2011, 22:00
Re: Octane render or not?
Well, ridiculous or not, I quite like their current implementation with a live database of materials created by other users that I can simply drag-n-drop in your scene. There is more to the internet connection than just the licensing part thats quite nice ;) Of course everyone has their preferences on how the licensing part should work. But the post about that you need to be connected to internet all times in order to run Octane, was false and I felt I had to chime in here to clear things up.
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Octane render or not?
Oh, so they changed this? That's great news!PeterCGS wrote:This was the case many months ago, during the beta cycle. Now you only activate online ONCE if you move your license to a new machine.
-
TwinSnakes007
- Posts: 316
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00
Re: Octane render or not?
Yup, looks like they backed off on having to keep a connection in order to render, here's a quote from their web store:
I dunno, I mean, it can give great results, but at the cost of time and investment. The images in the gallery are run on between $500-$800 worth of GPU cards, and it still takes 3 hours to resolve.Note that all versions of octane render as of v1.0 beta 2.52 and higher will require an internet connection to be present during the license activation stage only, and for sharing content with community users. If you do not have an internet connection on the machine you are planning to install Octane Render on, you should consider getting a low speed mobile connection, or any other temporary connection to activate the software during the first install. Once the software has been activated online, you can run it without an internet connection, although you need it again to upgrade the software, or use the online sharing features.