Creating a growing particle system *SOLVED*

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
ChrB
Posts: 55
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 11:26

Creating a growing particle system *SOLVED*

Post by ChrB » 16 Nov 2011, 10:21

Hi guys,

I am trying to create a particle system that grows from the center and out in a tetrahedrical shape. 4 particles are emitted at <0.0.0> and has a velocity of lets say 1 in Y. When they reach a certain distance traveled they stop travelling and emit 3 new particles each in a tetrahedrical direction.

It work fine with the 1st instance traveling straight up in global Y, but the other particles are not rotating correctly.
Image

The system is built so it clones the 'emitting particle' 3 times and then sets the point velocity of each of the particles by first rotating the pointVelocity of the 'emitting particle' 70.5 deg in Z, then n*120 degrees in Y (n being the count of the emitted particle, ie 0,1, 2), as in this tree:
Image

It only seems to work when velocity is <0.Value.0> as shown in this image:
Image

I am sure it is just due to me being mathematically challenged, but if someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance

Christian
Last edited by ChrB on 16 Nov 2011, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Arnold for the masses!

ChrB
Posts: 55
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 11:26

Re: Creating a growing particle system - problems with rotation

Post by ChrB » 16 Nov 2011, 20:43

Turns out I was a moron.....

I just didn't think straight and the solution was rather simple. Thanks to RedBjarne http://redbjarne.wordpress.com/2009/11/ ... on-in-ice/ for the right solution.

Anyway here is the working tree:
Image

and the screenshot to prove it:

Image
Arnold for the masses!