Diamonds

Comments on finished work
User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Diamonds

Post by Daniel Brassard » 15 Nov 2011, 05:15

Diamonds based on Master Zap Fire and Ice tutorial. I modeled the diamond based on the ideal round cut.

Software used: Softimage 2012 SAP, Mental Ray, Photoshop.

Comments welcome!

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 15 Nov 2011, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Diamonds

Post by Maximus » 15 Nov 2011, 13:14

Hello, i think there are some problems in the image, the antialias is really low, almost all edges are jagged, also the Final Gather is really low, can clearly see the "baloons" splotches all around the floor.
The right diamond seems floating, it doesnt touch the floor, think it might need a bit more work!

Cheers, Max

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Diamonds

Post by Daniel Brassard » 15 Nov 2011, 14:52

Hi Maximus,

Thanks for the comments. I'll called it unfinished then!

I was asking myself what was causing the blotches, I though they were a reflection from the diamonds. I will raise the FG sampling and see what happen. I'll drop the right diamond as well.

As for the anti-aliasing, that is coming from the compression in Photoshop (save for web). The original is sharper.

I'll post the original as soon as I get it corrected and re-rendered (no Photoshop).

I was looking at your diamond render on XSI base. Impressive, I envy you! There are a lot of setting to manage, phew!

What HDRI image did you use (i use the kitchen_probe, same as Zap)?
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Diamonds

Post by Maximus » 15 Nov 2011, 23:44

Hm i dont remember what i used, but i guess it was just a studio black/white hdri, or even the kitchen.hrdi from paul dbevec website.
Anyway to avoid splotches might want to consider to blur the hdri a bit, i do this with HDRIShop.

And increase a bit the fg, what are your render settings?

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Diamonds

Post by Daniel Brassard » 17 Nov 2011, 13:03

My Render settings are:

FG Expert, 500 min/max 1/20
Antialiasing -1/1/5 Filter Mitchell 4
(i'll raise AA to 0/2 when I'm happy with the results, which i'm not at this time)
GI 100/1/1
Caustic 100/1/1

I work linearly (gamma 1 everywhere), adding gamma in post.

I must admit I screwed up yesterday, now I lost all colors in the image. I can go back to an earlier saved scene but It will be simplier to start over to make sure i got the process right and did not introduce something screwy in the process. Give me a chance to translate Master Zap tutorial with Softimage screen settings, step by step. Then I'll have a good reference for future use.

Like Master Zap said at the beginning of his tutorial: "poor rendering guys worst nightmare!"
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif