Nov. 7, 11
Hi, tried out to put a movie as a texture but it didn’t let me to apply an .avi movie because it wouldn’t know the format ... I tried the f1 help but it freezes on me every time. I know .avi is a container that can carry different formats. I need to know how I should export from premiere and after effects so softimage would accept the movie as a texture. Any hint available on where i can look this up and possibly check out the different ways softimage can be used with movie textures and different movie texture formats ?
Best,
Frank
which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
-
Frank1000
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
- Skype: the2he
-
Leo
- Posts: 128
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 15:06
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
Render it out as an image sequence. PNG, tif or even jpg will do.
-
Frank1000
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
- Skype: the2he
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
Hi Leo, ya true, that is proven and will do. But it'd be interested to solve .avi on the side ... know I had it once years ago but forgot in the meantime ... would be convenient if I had 1 file and could even watch it before applying, reducing quantity of files in project, backup / restore ... etc.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
microsoft RLE codec.
the problem you're encountering is probably that you're running 64-bit XSI and you don't have the 64-bit codec for the file. (Windows Media Player is 32-bit, and would not show the problem).
the problem you're encountering is probably that you're running 64-bit XSI and you don't have the 64-bit codec for the file. (Windows Media Player is 32-bit, and would not show the problem).
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
When using AVI, I always go with uncompressed. Soft reads that no problem, and you don't introduce any degradation.
-
Frank1000
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
- Skype: the2he
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
Hi Luceric hi Chris_TC, ya true, Win 64 ... didn't know that SI would insist on 64bit codecs when operating in win64. Just googeled it and came across K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit again which is a comprehensive and great codec pack and for another reason I just had installed it a week ago ... I now installed the Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (64 Bit) 1.52 which plays the .avi but that probably still is a 32 bit file.
So I went and made different compressed and uncompressed and “none” compressed movies but they all were not taken.

here is one of the make-movie specs samples

I remember now I was using uncompressed that far ago session where it worked ... but uncompressed really makes heavy data and if in the end it also works with compressed files that would be much better ... I understand that rendering a texture requires the full picture each and every frame of the texture movie, but don’t know if there probably is a compression that would be fine for lighter data and for good render results ... that’d be a challenge to finally dig down and know for everybody with many movie texture tasks I guess.
if someone has a little .avi and the make-movie settings that were working and can provide it for a test would be great.
So I went and made different compressed and uncompressed and “none” compressed movies but they all were not taken.

here is one of the make-movie specs samples

I remember now I was using uncompressed that far ago session where it worked ... but uncompressed really makes heavy data and if in the end it also works with compressed files that would be much better ... I understand that rendering a texture requires the full picture each and every frame of the texture movie, but don’t know if there probably is a compression that would be fine for lighter data and for good render results ... that’d be a challenge to finally dig down and know for everybody with many movie texture tasks I guess.
if someone has a little .avi and the make-movie settings that were working and can provide it for a test would be great.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
I dont understand how that preset error comes up, this isn't related to video formats or image formats. Its more that your selection is wrong. How do you apply the material.
-
Frank1000
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
- Skype: the2he
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
i dragged them from the win explorer onto the object. Now I tried to go over the image property and load the movie from there, which it accepted, but the format stays unknown to SI. Also it continues to bring the noIcon texture although a movie is selected. in quick render it renders always the same black with some random lines ... not moving when I change the timeline.
I tried 3 uncompressed tex-movie versions this way. Probably a codec thing.

I tried 3 uncompressed tex-movie versions this way. Probably a codec thing.

-
Frank1000
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
- Skype: the2he
Re: which kind of .avi do I need to make a movie texture ?
if someone has a working example of using compressed video for texture would be mega ...