Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

Post by ActionArt » 28 Oct 2011, 16:39

Is there any data on how well this chip renders? I'm curious.

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

Post by Chris_TC » 28 Oct 2011, 17:45

I would love to know this as well. All the reviews only seem to use Cinebench, and frankly I hate how it gives you a "score". I'm way more interested in a regular rendering benchmark with completion times.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

Post by ActionArt » 28 Oct 2011, 17:55

Yes, I'm thinking about a new machine and benchmarks often have little to do with actual rendering performance. I'll love to see how it does with MR and 3Delight. The cores are different from the past so it's hard to guess exactly how it would do.

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

Post by Chris_TC » 28 Oct 2011, 20:26

ActionArt wrote:I'll love to see how it does with MR and 3Delight. The cores are different from the past so it's hard to guess exactly how it would do.
Yes, I think they're not even technically "cores". They're called modules or something. Overall, performance of the strongest Bulldozer seems to be around an i5 2500, but I have a feeling it'll lead the i5 quite a bit in rendering applications.

Edit: Found a benchmark for mental ray and Vray. They're even using a scene that renders for more than 10 minutes, so the results should be quite accurate. Not looking too hot there.
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/842-14/ ... e-am3.html

scaron
Posts: 119
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 03:16

Re: Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

Post by scaron » 29 Oct 2011, 00:06

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100583-analyzing-bulldozers-scaling-single-thread-performance

same here, bulldozer cpu looks like a flop

s

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

Post by ActionArt » 29 Oct 2011, 00:40

Wow, that's terrible. Even worse than the Phenom II that preceded it! Sheesh! There's just nothing worth buying. I was hoping they'd really do something interesting this time around but I guess not. Damn!

Can't get a decent CPU. Can't use GPU rendering in any useful way. Processing power development has really stalled.

Now Intel has no reason to do anything significant. I guess renders just won't get any faster any time soon.

That cloud computing is looking better all the time :(

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Anyone render tested Bulldozer yet?

Post by origin » 29 Oct 2011, 08:14

Well, Intel's sandy bridge is about ~~15% faster than lynnfield (and overclocks better), and upcoming ivy bridge (march 2012) is supposed to be 20% faster than sandy bridge.