Hi...I'm "returning" to XSI after years in that - other - camp.
I'm looking for an old tutorial once posted - I believe by Autodesk - showing how in ICE, and object was placed inside another and was affected by the position/rotation of the outer object. Think "brain floating in a jar". The "brain" object floated and moved randomly within the confines of the "jar" object as it was moved.
If anyone can direct me to that vid - or have an idea on how to create that, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Object floating inside another
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Object floating inside another
I, sadly, haven't got a clue as to what tutorial you mean, but I think you should be able to achieve the "head in a jar" effect by placing the head in a hierarchical relation to the jar, making the jar the parent of the head. After that you should be able to do all kinds of additional random stuff in the local space of the child/head
;)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
flaye
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 27 Jun 2009, 18:55
Re: Object floating inside another
Thanks Hirazi. I know that using the traditional ways of hierarchical setups, along with rigid body dynamics (I have to get back to using XSI's terminology...been using Maya for way too long) - it's possible to achieve.
That vid showed how to do it in a very elegant and relatively simple way, taking in context the shape of the container, adding random motion to the floating object.
I'll keep looking for it, and if I find it I'll make sure to share that.
Thanks again.
That vid showed how to do it in a very elegant and relatively simple way, taking in context the shape of the container, adding random motion to the floating object.
I'll keep looking for it, and if I find it I'll make sure to share that.
Thanks again.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Object floating inside another
Sorry, I didn't register in what forum you put your question and I ignored the ICE part completely.
You're obviously looking for an ICE Kinematics solution.
If so, maybe this tutorial by Eric Thivierge
or this series by dwigfor might help (as he goes into parenting in ICE explicitly)...
Be sure to check out our ICE Tutorial section, which includes some more stuff on ICE Kinematics
and Rork's ongoing Softimage Training Video Resources - Free & Commercial thread also
You're obviously looking for an ICE Kinematics solution.
If so, maybe this tutorial by Eric Thivierge
or this series by dwigfor might help (as he goes into parenting in ICE explicitly)...
Be sure to check out our ICE Tutorial section, which includes some more stuff on ICE Kinematics
and Rork's ongoing Softimage Training Video Resources - Free & Commercial thread also
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
flaye
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 27 Jun 2009, 18:55
Re: Object floating inside another
Thanks Hirazi. Those vids are very informative.