Tron Siren

Comments on finished work
izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Tron Siren

Post by izze » 01 Oct 2011, 22:06

A little fan art I just finished up. Not much to say really, just trying to get better at all this. 1920x1080 is HERE

Image
Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Tron Siren

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Oct 2011, 18:27

izze wrote:Not much to say really, just trying to get better at all this.
No, I won't let you off so easily: :D
Primary software, I assume, was Softimage.
The modeling looks like Mudbox (or is it ZBrush?)
But how about the renderer, was there any compositing involved,
did you finish it late at night?

In short: tell us more... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: Tron Siren

Post by izze » 03 Oct 2011, 20:41

Primary software is absolutely Softimage. :) Base model was made in Softimage. Then sent to Zbrush for sculpting. I am using Arnold as my render. So it is very easy to get proper displacement results. I am also using Andreas Bystrom's skin shader mixed with another shader with anisotropic reflections for the suit. Everything is lit basically by secondary illumination. There is one spot light in my scene. Kristinka for the hair (of course). Render times are about three hours a frame at 1920.

There is some composting involved. DOF, bloom, and a little punch added to the glow strips. A little color correction here and there. I tried to keep the environment pretty dark, but did not want to loose the contrast. Do you think it is to dark? Is that why you asked if I finished it late at night?

Screen grab
Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Tron Siren

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Oct 2011, 20:50

No, the "late at night" part was yet another feeble attempt at a joke... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: Tron Siren

Post by izze » 03 Oct 2011, 22:45

That's a relief. No matter how many calibrations I go through. I still worry that my monitor is to dark.

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Tron Siren

Post by Daniel Brassard » 04 Oct 2011, 15:52

Very good work Izze, I like it very much.

If I may, I would tilt the head slightly forward to direct the eyes in the commanding gaze she had in the movie when we see her for the first time in the fitting room.

How was you process with zbrush and XSI? Any tips you want to share to help others?

Overall, keep up the good work and please post more of your work.

Cheers!

Dan
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: Tron Siren

Post by izze » 04 Oct 2011, 18:45

Hey, good tip Daniel. I will try tilting that head forward a bit and do a new render. I really enjoy the workflow between XSI and Zbrush since version 4. I no longer have issues with scale and position etc. Everything works together just fine. I may have one tip to share, but this may be known already. This is how I get smooth uv's out of zbrush.

When finished sculpting, I uv my object. Then bring it in as a new tool, and subdivided it the same number as my sculpt with smooth uv on. Then export that as an obj at the highest level. Go back to my sculpted mesh, and store a morph target. Then import the high res object with the smooth uv's over the highest subdivision on my sculpted mesh. Switch morph targets to get all my sculpted detail back after the import.

You can then make a texture from polypaint and have smooth uv's! There is another method to get smooth uv's but you loose any polypaint info in the process.

I will post an update after I get the head tilted, cheers!