Hi Everyone,
I am having trouble learning ICE Caching. ( I am using 2011 SAP), so I hope this has been resolved for the newer versions. I follow the document as it says to Cache my simulation, which works fine. However, when I want to read the Cache, it doesn't - it always wants to resimulate. So I was browsing around and found this link
http://vimeo.com/2481043
which I followed as well. I first setup my Cache and forgot to add my pointcloud to the object list - it still cached fine, but nothing would show when came render time, and the playback was fine as well. So, I did it again, and this time I remembered to add my pointcloud to the object list. Everything came out nicely, so I thought. I setup my playback as shown in the video link I posted. I set my ICE Cache file node to read, and it does read the file, as I notice my playback to be much faster. However, when the time comes for the simulation to get heavy when the frames are set to ALL, it slows down quite a bit, which is understandable. I then switched my playback to RT, and during those heavy moments, I get a simulation bar popping back up, like it is trying to resimulate itself, when it is supposed to be reading the cache file. Am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be much appreciated, if someone can help me out. I am hoping it is because of the version I am running 2011SAP and that is works as the documents say it should in the newer versions.
Thanks in Advance.
ICE Particle Caching issue.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
ICE Particle Caching issue.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: ICE Particle Caching issue.
Have you tried just caching it with the "environments" settings? If you turn caching on for playback, and then lock the cache it should work fine, I used it quite a bit in 2011 SAP.
It sounds like you're trying to use the caching node in ice? I found that node confusing. I think I did get it to work but have since forgotten what I did.
In explorer, go to "environments" (who comes up with these nondescript names?) and find "Simulation Time Control" and go to the "caching files" tab. Activate cache on playback and then lock it.
Unless there is a specific reason for using the ice node, I suggest trying this.
Keep in mind that on a heavy simulation, reading the cache can be slow as well and won't play in real time, that's normal. I'm not sure if the simulation bar really means it's simulating or just reading the cache.
One test you can do is if it scrubs backward, it is cached
It sounds like you're trying to use the caching node in ice? I found that node confusing. I think I did get it to work but have since forgotten what I did.
In explorer, go to "environments" (who comes up with these nondescript names?) and find "Simulation Time Control" and go to the "caching files" tab. Activate cache on playback and then lock it.
Unless there is a specific reason for using the ice node, I suggest trying this.
Keep in mind that on a heavy simulation, reading the cache can be slow as well and won't play in real time, that's normal. I'm not sure if the simulation bar really means it's simulating or just reading the cache.
One test you can do is if it scrubs backward, it is cached
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: ICE Particle Caching issue.
Hi ActionArt,
Thanks a lot for the idea, I tried it and it worked great That is what I am going to do for now on. Also, with your method, it seems to be the only way that I can scrub the cached playback and actually have it work.. Thanks again!
Thanks a lot for the idea, I tried it and it worked great That is what I am going to do for now on. Also, with your method, it seems to be the only way that I can scrub the cached playback and actually have it work.. Thanks again!
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: ICE Particle Caching issue.
No problem. I was a bit frustrated with this at first. I think part of it is the oddball names/paths they've used. Who would ever guess to hunt down caching in that location. Environments? Sounds like it should be related to environment maps or something. Easy enough when you know...