Slow Random Value node

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
spurv
Posts: 92
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:28
Skype: patodigital
Location: Portugal

Slow Random Value node

Post by spurv » 27 Jul 2009, 14:35

It's possible that a random calculation like Random Value node, slows down my scene?

I think I'm doing something wrong. :-\

Here is my scene.

http://www.pato.tv/USERS/Posts/crowd003.rar
Eu é que tou com cenas? Tu é que tás com cenas!
http://lickingtheice.tumblr.com
http://www.mariodomingos.com

Matic
Posts: 70
Joined: 18 Jun 2009, 17:58

Re: Slow Random Value node

Post by Matic » 27 Jul 2009, 19:07

The problem isn't the randomize compound, it's the use of animation offsets with ICE instances - a known issue. The set instance geometry nodes involve metalray assemblies which are written to disk, the usual (undesirable) behavior you see is preprocessing time going up and up the further you get on the timeline. Not much in the way of workarounds that I know of, I've heard caching can help (but I have doubts) and I seem to remember on the XSI list people were trying to compress their instance animation and then stretch it out again in ICE to minimize the slowdowns.

On a recent job where I had to flock up to thousands of animated characters I used non-animated proxies ubtil render time and then took the hit.

User avatar
spurv
Posts: 92
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:28
Skype: patodigital
Location: Portugal

Re: Slow Random Value node

Post by spurv » 27 Jul 2009, 19:12

ohh! ok! Thank you very much. Hope they'll fix it in 2010. :)
Eu é que tou com cenas? Tu é que tás com cenas!
http://lickingtheice.tumblr.com
http://www.mariodomingos.com

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Slow Random Value node

Post by origin » 27 Jul 2009, 19:27

You can change visibility to bounding box, so framerate with uberhigh.
Of course you won't see anything, but pointcloud will calculate and render fine.

It seems that assemblies are written even for display in viewport ? hmm..

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Slow Random Value node

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Jul 2009, 22:08

spurv wrote:It's possible that a random calculation like Random Value node, slows down my scene?
No, it's 'cheap' node. Turbulence is more expensive, but generally, whatever you can find under math>basic, it's fast.

User avatar
CiaranM
Posts: 87
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:37
Location: London

Re: Slow Random Value node

Post by CiaranM » 27 Jul 2009, 23:44

Matic wrote:The problem isn't the randomize compound, it's the use of animation offsets with ICE instances - a known issue. The set instance geometry nodes involve metalray assemblies which are written to disk, the usual (undesirable) behavior you see is preprocessing time going up and up the further you get on the timeline. Not much in the way of workarounds that I know of, I've heard caching can help (but I have doubts) and I seem to remember on the XSI list people were trying to compress their instance animation and then stretch it out again in ICE to minimize the slowdowns.
If you're talking about the growing render time with instances (regular instances too, btw.) then the best solution is to render in smaller sequences.
I know, easier said than done if you don't have a batch license...but there's always a way.

User avatar
spurv
Posts: 92
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:28
Skype: patodigital
Location: Portugal

Re: Slow Random Value node

Post by spurv » 28 Jul 2009, 11:53

CiaranM wrote:
Matic wrote:The problem isn't the randomize compound, it's the use of animation offsets with ICE instances - a known issue. The set instance geometry nodes involve metalray assemblies which are written to disk, the usual (undesirable) behavior you see is preprocessing time going up and up the further you get on the timeline. Not much in the way of workarounds that I know of, I've heard caching can help (but I have doubts) and I seem to remember on the XSI list people were trying to compress their instance animation and then stretch it out again in ICE to minimize the slowdowns.
If you're talking about the growing render time with instances (regular instances too, btw.) then the best solution is to render in smaller sequences.
I know, easier said than done if you don't have a batch license...but there's always a way.
No, the problem is the viewport playback.
Eu é que tou com cenas? Tu é que tás com cenas!
http://lickingtheice.tumblr.com
http://www.mariodomingos.com