need help with ICE Kristinka

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
amitr
Posts: 24
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 20:45
Skype: amitravid2

need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by amitr » 16 Sep 2011, 10:07

Hey, I just downloaded Kristinka 3 from the official page.
I cant follow the tutorial, because I dont see any kh2 emit guides, or any other emit guides there.
What im doing wrong? is there any other Kristinka tutorial that can help ?

thanks !

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Sep 2011, 18:22

Hello,

Kh3 Doscs and Kh3 samples are 99% up to date with kh3 ICE compounds. Older tutorials are not.
In last few versions, 'emit' node has a very similar function to factory 'emit from...' node + factory 'create strands' . There are samples in download, no one with more than about 10 nodes at all. So, 'official way' (if you're already with this word ), is to get familiar with basic ICE stuff as well as NURBS modeling in SI, before playing with kH nodes. I've mentioned something along this line in docs.
Maybe I'll add a 'positive approach to Softimage ICE' as some kind of license :). (just joking....)

No big deal to write step-by-step tut, how to get a basic styling, as well as tutorial for 'how to land with parachute in the middle of Amazon jungle', but there is no tutorial for 'how to land with parachute in the middle of Amazon jungle and stay alive after landing', I'm afraid.

Cheers

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Sep 2011, 18:26

Sounds a bit harsh, don't you think? :-
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

amitr
Posts: 24
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 20:45
Skype: amitravid2

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by amitr » 16 Sep 2011, 19:25

thaks

I saw amazing hair done with Kristinka.

I need it now to create a specific hair style, I want to play with Kristinka to get my head arround it, but for this task i dont have time to do so.

Can you give me a direction, for how to begin setup my Kristinka, so my hair will looks finally like this style? :
Image

thanks alot for the help :)

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Sep 2011, 19:51

amitr wrote:thaks

I saw amazing hair done with Kristinka.

I need it now to create a specific hair style, I want to play with Kristinka to get my head arround it, but for this task i dont have time to do so.
Can you give me a direction, for how to begin setup my Kristinka, so my hair will looks finally like this style? :
thanks alot for the help :)
It's a free tool, and will stay free. There is no support for free software. Unfortunately, beside the stuff you can already find on the site, I really have no time for more. My time is limited too.

Cheers

btw, a bit harsh.... for small game development teams for example, at least that I know, what I said is a far away from harsh speaking.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Sep 2011, 20:03

Well, if its okay "for small game development teams" then it must be okay here as well, I guess...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

amitr
Posts: 24
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 20:45
Skype: amitravid2

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by amitr » 16 Sep 2011, 20:19

Okay,
I dident knew you are the one that wrote that tool

Great job man.

Well, all I need is few words, A direction for how to begin my setup so i can play with it and get something like the joker's hair.

If you can explain me, it really help me alot.
thanks for your time Btw : )

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Sep 2011, 23:33

amitr wrote:Okay,

Well, all I need is few words, A direction for how to begin my setup so i can play with it and get something like the joker's hair.
First of all, Kristinka Hair is not created around some specific hairdo, it's created following the existing ICE stuff, trying to achieve as much more, still with reasonable performance. In styling, it even doesn't consider the gravity. If you take an analogy with rendering, it's much closer to phong highlight, instead some raytraced glossy reflection. That is, *sometimes* result can look realistic, but life is much, much better if you know the limitations. That's a yet another reason why to know something about ICE, before all.


As it is mentioned in tutorial on Area (that's the first suggested tut on my site), in Kristinka Hair, you model a main shape, details are created procedurally. Now please take look at this article. Then, try to find primary, secondary, etc.... shape on his hair. Primary shape probably would be what I drawn - you describe it by kH (whatever version ) Follow NURBS node. Secondary, tertiary shapes, are created exclusive by ICE nodes (without external geometry). Sample called "bend_curls_clump_locks" is actually closest to this look. Tweak NURBS surfaces, try to disconnect some nodes, change parameters, add 'kH Turbulence Local', add 'kH Randomize' after all. This, experimenting part is really up to you.

Image

amitr
Posts: 24
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 20:45
Skype: amitravid2

Re: need help with ICE Kristinka

Post by amitr » 17 Sep 2011, 09:05

Dude thank you so much.
Thats really what I was needed.

By creating this tool, you did made Softimage a better 3D app dor freelancers. its not just a poor extension to ice, its actually the best hair system out there (dont know what things they have inside pixar \ dreamworks for hair and fur)