Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Nick3d
Posts: 71
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16

Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Post by Nick3d » 13 Sep 2011, 14:39

Hello there everyone,

I'm modeling a still action scene and I was wondering about some things that I would like to add...

Since it will be an action scene here is a description of the scene: two guys, one already hit the other with the sword, so there will be an open scar on the guy's chest with blood dripping, and ( following the path of the sword ) a trail of blood on the same direction of the sword...and of course, some blood on the sword itself

To keep it simple, think about the movie "300" when they hit each other, you can clearly see the blood going all over the place...

Now, I'm haven't practice so much with ICE so I don't know if something like that can be done ( maybe would be better to ask how it could be done ) or is there another way to achieve this result

Cheerio :)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Sep 2011, 14:42

If it's for still I'd say model/texture it,
this also gives you precise control where you want it
considering your lack of experience with ICE... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Post by dwigfor » 13 Sep 2011, 15:15

Might also want to do some of it in after effects. Andrew framers has a tutorial for doing 300 style blood splats.

Nick3d
Posts: 71
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16

Re: Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Post by Nick3d » 13 Sep 2011, 16:56

Thanks for the tips

"Unfortunately" I will only use Softimage because later I'll need to export everything into a realtime engine, so yeah, modeling and texturing all done in Softimage and then exported into the realtime engine...

I will try, maybe using Zbrush as well, since I think that it will be quicker, but Softimage has some many tools that once I'll undestrand how to do that it will be easy to do everything else :)

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Post by sant0s » 15 Sep 2011, 08:01

Hi Nick,

if you decide using ICE for the blood, it is quite simple.
Actually you could try it with an animated object and basic simulation on it, randomize the speed and size, add some gravity and finaly use the polygonizer.
So you get very fast some natural looking blood spray.

greetings

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Post by sant0s » 10 Oct 2011, 14:53

Hey Nick,
any good results?

A friend asked, if i can make some nice blood and splat effects for a movie he made - so just playing with ICE and the SI Polygonizer.
Maybe anyone like to start little "lets make blood" training here? :)

Thought about to get this effect: http://vimeo.com/22035242

Nick3d
Posts: 71
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16

Re: Blood drops/trails - modeling or use ICE?

Post by Nick3d » 24 Oct 2011, 16:56

That is nice! and its Machete!

Thanks for the tips, but right now, due to the huge amount of work, I'm taking it very easy, so I think that I'll start work again on the project during Christmas holidays, and hopefully have everything ready by the beginning of the year

Thank you very much anyway :)