How to make a sphere?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 12:07

No its not a joke.

The only catch is that each and every polygon must be of equal area.

Edit: No triangles, only quads. With the possible exception of the poles.

Cheers
Terry
Last edited by Letterbox on 21 Jul 2009, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Diurno
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 07:50

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Diurno » 21 Jul 2009, 12:12

i'm afraid i don't understard.... :-\

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 12:18

Diurno wrote:i'm afraid i don't understard.... :-\
I cant explain it simpler... :D

a sphere... ok. No problem there, but if you make one, the polys are not equal in area, are they. No.

I was looking for a method to make a sphere where every poly in there sphere is the same area.

Cheers
Terry

User avatar
Diurno
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 07:50

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Diurno » 21 Jul 2009, 12:28

you mean like the Geo Sphere of 3dmax? but it has all triangle...

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by druitre » 21 Jul 2009, 12:29

well... make a cube and smooth the living daylights out of it?

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 12:35

druitre wrote:well... make a cube and smooth the living daylights out of it?
Only problem with that is you'd only get 4 sides :)

Would like to have it a bit more user friendly in terms of upping the poly count :)

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by druitre » 21 Jul 2009, 12:44

just up the divisions number (before the smooth op)

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 12:47

Diurno wrote:you mean like the Geo Sphere of 3dmax? but it has all triangle...
someone just emailed me that, but the problem is that the u & v dont lie on the circumference, like a "normal sphere". Which I didn't think of until i saw the image.

Cheers
Terry

PS Not so easy :-?

User avatar
Diurno
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 07:50

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Diurno » 21 Jul 2009, 12:48

but in this way the poligons in the angles have a different size...

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 12:53

druitre wrote:just up the divisions number (before the smooth op)
You still wouldn't get a TRUE sphere, you'd get the sides still would end up being flat compared to the corners.

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by druitre » 21 Jul 2009, 12:58

Ah yes, you're right, and you'd still have irregular geometry.

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by druitre » 21 Jul 2009, 12:59

What about this one: create icosahedron, local subdivision refinement (catmull clarke) x 1. All quads, looks like.

[edit:] Have to admit that that's the highest count all-quad equal area sphere i can get... this is harder than I thought :-\

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 13:10

druitre wrote:What about this one: create icosahedron, local subdivision refinement (catmull clarke) x 1. All quads, looks like.
That's close, but you dont have the U & V around the circumference.

This is a ridiculous question it sounds so simple. He just says he wanted a sphere, make up of equal rectangles (quads), and the isolines to be around the circumference. so he can animate each square. With the exception of the poles.

It doesn't sound that hard does it.. I tell you if it can be done I sure dont know how.

Now I think I know why Transformers picked a CUBE... :))

User avatar
Diurno
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 07:50

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Diurno » 21 Jul 2009, 13:17

Letterbox wrote:
druitre wrote:What about this one: create icosahedron, local subdivision refinement (catmull clarke) x 1. All quads, looks like.
That's close, but you dont have the U & V around the circumference.

This is a ridiculous question it sounds so simple. He just says he wanted a sphere, make up of equal rectangles (quads), and the isolines to be around the circumference. so he can animate each square. With the exception of the poles.

It doesn't sound that hard does it.. I tell you if it can be done I sure dont know how.

Now I think I know why Transformers picked a CUBE... :))
what does it mean "U & V around the circumference" ?

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 13:29

Diurno wrote:
Letterbox wrote:
druitre wrote:What about this one: create icosahedron, local subdivision refinement (catmull clarke) x 1. All quads, looks like.
That's close, but you dont have the U & V around the circumference.

This is a ridiculous question it sounds so simple. He just says he wanted a sphere, make up of equal rectangles (quads), and the isolines to be around the circumference. so he can animate each square. With the exception of the poles.

It doesn't sound that hard does it.. I tell you if it can be done I sure dont know how.

Now I think I know why Transformers picked a CUBE... :))
what does it mean "U & V around the circumference" ?
Like if you make an ordinary sphere, you have a loop around both horizontal & vertical that go around the sphere. = U & V around the circumference = smooth curve around the sphere.

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: How to make a sphere?

Post by Letterbox » 21 Jul 2009, 14:11

I'd thought I post this as its a solution i found on the web.

http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~leopardi/V ... slides.pdf