Upvector Constraint

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Upvector Constraint

Post by rray » 21 Jun 2011, 15:53

hey

You can create an upvector constraint in ICE using the "Constrain turret" compound: Just place a Null really high, use local Y (0,1,0) as the "aim along" vector and local X as the "rotate around" vector. Works for my camera animation at least to even out the horizon.

Excuses from an ICE kine noob if this is old news or RTFM material :ymblushing:

ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
TwinSnakes007
Posts: 316
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00

Re: Upvector Constraint

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 22 Jun 2011, 16:26

Couldnt you achieve the same thing by locking the X and Z axis rotation for the camera?

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Upvector Constraint

Post by rray » 22 Jun 2011, 17:09

Hm don't know, I've parented the cam under a null, animating the null. Would that mean setting the null's global X and Z rotation params to "value locked"? Tried that but ICE seems to override the locks. No idea what's going on.

If I use ICE to set X&Y to 0 after calculating the other contraints, I get no ability for the cam to look up/down.
If I just set X rot to 0, I get random flipping.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026