I hate doing motion blur in post, but right now I have to. I'm using the MIP motion vector output shader, and the resulting images are wrong as far as I can tell.
I've got a camera moving down a hallway, so the entire frame is moving. However, there are areas in the motion vector frames that are completely black: RGB 0,0,0.
After looking at the red and green channels I can see what the problem is: the red channel (which stores X displacement) only has values in the left half of the frame. The right half is black.
The green channel (which stores Y displacement) only has values in the bottom half of the frame. The top half is black.
Should these values actually be NEGATIVE? Do I have to render to 32 bit format? If so, then why do you even have the option of rendering to 8 bit or 16 bit? The manual only says that 8 bit is not recommended. I'm using 16 bit, and the results are wrong. Could somebody shed some light on this?
MIP Motion vectors - How?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: MIP Motion vectors - How?
In which compositor do you want to use the Motion Vectors (& what is your "Floating Point Format")?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: MIP Motion vectors - How?
Using Fusion. I now tried TIF float and EXR float. They seem to give negative values, but Fusion reads those parts of the frame as color value "-1.#INF" and does not motion blur them. So I guess this is incompatible.
All of this was using the floating point RAW mode of the mip motion vector. When I use floating point Off, the values appear to stay within 0 and 1. But they must be wrong because all I get when applying them in Fusion is a uniform diagonal blur across the whole frame.
I also tried the la maison shader, but if I drag it into the render tree and try to render, I get a warning that tells me "shader not found". What a hassle, should have used the rasterizer like I usually do.
All of this was using the floating point RAW mode of the mip motion vector. When I use floating point Off, the values appear to stay within 0 and 1. But they must be wrong because all I get when applying them in Fusion is a uniform diagonal blur across the whole frame.
I also tried the la maison shader, but if I drag it into the render tree and try to render, I get a warning that tells me "shader not found". What a hassle, should have used the rasterizer like I usually do.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: MIP Motion vectors - How?
Seems to me, some of your settings in Fusion might be off.
Can't help you there, I'm afraid...
Sorry
But concerning the "la maison shader": you did get the 64 bit dll and spdl and install that correctly
(I'm assuming you're "on" x64)
Can't help you there, I'm afraid...
Sorry
But concerning the "la maison shader": you did get the 64 bit dll and spdl and install that correctly
(I'm assuming you're "on" x64)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: MIP Motion vectors - How?
Ooops, I think I might have gotten the 32 bit version. Thank you, I will try this.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: MIP Motion vectors - How?
I can recall something similar on the xsi mailinglist some time ago. It had to do with inverted vectors or something.
Might be worth a shot.
rob
edit: found it, search in the xsi mailinglist archive's for Vahan Sosoyan's 'mip_motion_vector workflow" thread.
Might be worth a shot.
rob
edit: found it, search in the xsi mailinglist archive's for Vahan Sosoyan's 'mip_motion_vector workflow" thread.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: MIP Motion vectors - How?
Oh wow. It works! And it works really well. Thank you so much!Rork wrote:Vahan Sosoyan's 'mip_motion_vector workflow" thread.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: MIP Motion vectors - How?
it wasn't exactly what I was thinking of, but hey... at least I was in the ballpark, and it works
happy comping!!
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!