SaveRenderMesh

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

SaveRenderMesh

Post by izze » 15 Jun 2011, 20:47

Good day.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with getting instanced geometry to output correctly using Andy Nicholas SaveRenderMesh addon? I am able to get it to work properly with the Strand Tree addon, but have failed at getting a simple pointcloud with instance shape to output. After tearing apart the Strand Tree compounds, I fail to see what might have added to allow the Strand Tree components to output with this method.

I am attaching a screen grab of my pointcloud setup. I have made it as basic as possible. If I remove Instance Shape node and use a standard point shape of sphere or box etc, the pointcloud will output geometry correctly with SaveRenderMesh. But with Instance Shape, I get nothing. Same with Set Instance Geo. Thanks!

2012 SP1 & 2012 & 2011 SAP

Image

tomalc
Posts: 16
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 16:24

Re: SaveRenderMesh

Post by tomalc » 17 Jun 2011, 10:58

Hi, if you are instancing, SaveRenderMesh must be a shader of the instanciated geometry...

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: SaveRenderMesh

Post by izze » 17 Jun 2011, 14:04

I have the shader on the pointcloud. And it does export correctly if I set particle shape to the standard sphere, box, cone etc. But when using actual geometry and the Instance Shape node, It fails. Funny it works fine with Strand Tree but not with a very basic pointcloud setup.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: SaveRenderMesh

Post by rray » 17 Jun 2011, 14:36

It could be that Softimage utilizes the MR standins for ICE instance rendering, not generating geometry.

But that wouldn't explain why it works with StrandTree :-\
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: SaveRenderMesh

Post by izze » 17 Jun 2011, 15:37

Yeah, weird eh? I do not see anything in Strand Tree emit leaves compound that would be any different then the image shown above. I'm at a complete loss.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: SaveRenderMesh

Post by rray » 17 Jun 2011, 16:50

It looks like the material with the SaveRenderMesh is on the pointcloud - Which doesn't get called because there are no "actual" particles (only the Cone's material is called)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

izze
Posts: 176
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02

Re: SaveRenderMesh

Post by izze » 17 Jun 2011, 18:23

I started to create a new scene with the same setup for all to look at. And during the process everything worked! I swore yesterday when I put the SRM material on the instanced geometry (not the pointcloud) it would only save out the one object. NOT the instances. Then later that evening I tried the same setup at home and proved the same results. I guess I have to chalk it up to user error. Man I hate that. Just to be safe I am going to try this a few more times to see if I can break it again.