Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
curly
Posts: 77
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 06:43

Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by curly » 07 Jun 2011, 14:33

Hi,

Apple launched icloud, in case you didn't notice. This could become a big thing. Why.
1. Think about the opportunities it offers for working together on an animation project.
2. Think about what it could mean for the entertainment industry in general.
If people put everything on the cloud they wouldn't feel the need to put everything on seperate drives. In terms of copyright protection this would make
things a lot easier. They would buy their stuff at itunes giving them the right to play the music or movies without the need of putting it on seperates drives.
When this becomes general practise -> and we know it will happen -> Internetproviders are marketing mobile online access all the time simply because they
can make a lot of money with it -> THE DARK CLOUDS OVER THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY WILL DISSAPPEAR.

GOOD JOB -> STEVE JOBS
:)

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by McNistor » 07 Jun 2011, 20:52

iDontcare, the new old Apple product in my world.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by Chris_TC » 07 Jun 2011, 22:26

It is silly to hate corporations and I really don't care what they do. But Apple with its overpriced gadgets that make everyone go giddy just annoys me to no end. As if there aren't enough iThings already.

User avatar
Ethangar
Posts: 20
Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 02:16

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by Ethangar » 10 Jun 2011, 00:46

And the day your internet is out or your modem fails.....

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by origin » 10 Jun 2011, 08:15

Check out software called Catia v6 (genious software by the way), it's already have 'cloud' thing - you can only save your project to their servers ("cloud"). No local saving.
Probably more antipiracy thing I guess?

Gith
Posts: 26
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Poland

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by Gith » 10 Jun 2011, 09:37

Besides, it's no Jobs nor Apple who invented it.. this thing is already here for some time now.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Jun 2011, 10:29

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. The way I understood it (but do correct me if I'm wrong) this is just cloud storage (preferably used in conjunction with your 7 million iDevices) and it seems merely (to quote Wikipedia)
a data syncing center for email, contacts, calendars, bookmark, notes, to-do lists and other data.
I wouldn't store my "Intellectual Property" (if I had any) on it...
But what's so special about iCloud?
Apart from the cute logo and the ever-important "i" in front of its name? :-\ ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Gith
Posts: 26
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Poland

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by Gith » 10 Jun 2011, 13:38

hmm.. wow! :P that thing is already in Android for some time now -> gmail stores all this data.

As for security issue. Yes, the idea is "If You have more freedom and convenience, You have less security". As for me, for now i dont mind, and i dont have that many information stored about me or my friends. Besides, i dont feel i'm someone important for anybody who wants to access any information of me anyway.. ;) I simply dont store any intimate/extremely personal data on any electronic device.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Apple icloud-> This could become a big thing.

Post by ActionArt » 10 Jun 2011, 16:14

What I would like is a quick, very easy way to send an SI file to render (using MR) on some cloud for a reasonable price. Just one click (or a few) and zap, it's rendered and you only pay for what you use.

Maybe that already exists, I just haven't really looked yet...

I know there's a number of render farm services, I'm not sure how they compare.