ICE modeling - Add Vertex node does not work?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

ICE modeling - Add Vertex node does not work?

Post by Chris_TC » 23 May 2011, 17:35

I have tried all sorts of combinations to make this node work, but it just won't. It's so annoying. Here's the deal:

I have modeled a tube and want to cap both ends. I want the cap to consist of several triangular polygons, the same way cylinder caps are created in Get->Primitive-Cylinder
To do this, I'm trying to add a "floating vertex" in the center of where the cap will later be. But when I try to use Add Polygon, nothing happens. And the vertex added with Add Vertex never shows up in the viewport either.

The manual specifically says that floating vertices are deleted after an ICE tree is evaluated, and that they should be connected. But it never works. Try adding three vertices to an empty polymesh with Add Vertex, and then using Add Polygon to draw a polygon. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: ICE modeling - Add Vertex node does not work?

Post by xsisupport » 23 May 2011, 17:52

This is what I did:
Image
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: ICE modeling - Add Vertex node does not work?

Post by Chris_TC » 23 May 2011, 19:53

I'm confused. This is exactly what I had been doing. I just tried it again, and now it worked flawlessly.
So obviously I must have been doing it differently. But I'm certain I wasn't. Oh, whatever, thank you for helping!

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: ICE modeling - Add Vertex node does not work?

Post by Chris_TC » 24 May 2011, 16:11

I don't really want to start a new topic for this. It's probably just more stupidity of mine.

But how do I convert polygon indices to polygon positions? My object has an integer array of polygon indices. Now I want to turn these into a vector array of polygon positions. None of the conversions I tried have worked :-\

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: ICE modeling - Add Vertex node does not work?

Post by xsisupport » 24 May 2011, 16:35

This is the first thing that came to mind. PolygonsInsideNull is an array of polygon indices...
Image
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: ICE modeling - Add Vertex node does not work?

Post by Chris_TC » 24 May 2011, 16:45

Once again you saved the day. The solution is sooooo simple, but I could not think of it. Thank you very much! :)