Limiting XSI's use of cores and RAM

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Leo
Posts: 128
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 15:06

Limiting XSI's use of cores and RAM

Post by Leo » 08 May 2011, 15:04

Is there a way of limiting XSI's use of processing cores and RAM?
Sometimes I just wanna render something and keep browsing or doing something in photoshop, which if the render approaches a certain complexity is not possible anymore. Now I realize that if I force XSI to use less cores and RAM that it will slow down the render considerably, but sometimes I'd rather have the render take an hour longer if it gives me use of my computer in the meantime.

I'm looking for something like AfterEffects for example has, where you can decide how many cores AE uses and how much RAM will be allocated to each of them.

Thanks in advance.

Leo

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Limiting XSI's use of cores and RAM

Post by xsisupport » 08 May 2011, 15:40

// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Leo
Posts: 128
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 15:06

Re: Limiting XSI's use of cores and RAM

Post by Leo » 08 May 2011, 19:42

Thanks a lot!

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: Limiting XSI's use of cores and RAM

Post by mattmos » 08 May 2011, 22:28

You can also just set xsi.exe to low priority in the task manager. That should allow you to keep on working in other apps while rendering, and not limit cores when you're not.