ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Guillaume Laforge just started his first installment of a "weekly workshop on ICE modeling" over at the Mailing List. Apart from the slightly elitist venue, this might be fun to watch (and if you're on the Mailing List yourself, to participate yourself). My question would be: wouldn't this have been better suited as a feeble attempt to revive the Softimage forum @ the dreaded Area (or even use the XSIBase or this community instead)
I seem to recall a remark by some other unnamed Softimage employee about the "snobbiness" of the community. Well, in my book, doing this kind of thing on the Mailing List exclusively surely does apply also...
ICE Modeling workshop : The Capping Tool
;)
I seem to recall a remark by some other unnamed Softimage employee about the "snobbiness" of the community. Well, in my book, doing this kind of thing on the Mailing List exclusively surely does apply also...
ICE Modeling workshop : The Capping Tool
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
well in my opinion the mailing list is really the best place to find out info, and it is active, so i think its one of the best place to start, also you can always have users move and notify the other people about it, like you just did.
Not a big deal
What matters to me is that its being done! I'm glad to see this support from devs!
Not a big deal
What matters to me is that its being done! I'm glad to see this support from devs!
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Dr. Frankenstein wouldn't be up to task of reviving that monstrous entity called Area. Mailing list is maybe not the most convenient thing out there, but at least its very clean - all the information/context, none distraction.
Its out there, its open for all, its fine.
Its out there, its open for all, its fine.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
I enjoy reading the list archive on Google Groups because it contains a ton of great information. However, I find participating extremely bothersome and annoying. I've joined it a few times, but receiving dozens of e-mails every day with no good way to sort them into discussion trees like a forum does, I just ended up unsubscribing. In a forum I only click on threads that interest me. On the list my inbox ends up littered with content about all sorts of topics.
I really don't see why people put up with the inconvenience of a mailing list. A forum offers so much more flexibility. Unless there is some sort of special e-mail client that separates all discussion into threads, like a forum does?
I really don't see why people put up with the inconvenience of a mailing list. A forum offers so much more flexibility. Unless there is some sort of special e-mail client that separates all discussion into threads, like a forum does?
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
I know this not really an email client (although you could configure it as such) but i'm using GMail with an automatic filter to a softimage label. All emails are threaded, that works quite well. I sometimes forget that I am not looking at a forum and pressing 'send' means no more edit possible after
Plus I can easily search the whole content, flag any message, all unread messages are clearly marked so, etc...
Claude
Claude
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Thanks, I think I'll give this a try then.
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Some interesting stuff popping out here, as well:
Ex-SI Support
Like this sorted list of compounds, plugins and scripts from AREA.
Ex-SI Support
Like this sorted list of compounds, plugins and scripts from AREA.
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
After installing the addon and trying to use the command, Softimage throws an error (Traceback most recent call....)Hirazi Blue wrote:The first installment of the ICE Modeling workshop resulted in this little video
and this compound
The mailing list says that refreshing the presets in the ICE tree should fix the error. But after refreshing, the compound still doesn't appear in my preset list?
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
A python issue? I think some commands were done in python.
I think there are just compounds for download. They should work without hassle.
Cap holes
Extrude along curve
I think there are just compounds for download. They should work without hassle.
Cap holes
Extrude along curve
-
guillaume
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 22:01
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
It is not a python issue. You just need to refresh your ICE preset manager (or re-start Softimage) after you install the addon.
This is because installing a new addon doesn't update the preset manager.
Edit : I saw that you did the refresh. If re-starting Softimage doesn't fix it, it looks like your python install is not good. Can you give us the full error message ?
This is because installing a new addon doesn't update the preset manager.
Edit : I saw that you did the refresh. If re-starting Softimage doesn't fix it, it looks like your python install is not good. Can you give us the full error message ?
Last edited by guillaume on 11 May 2011, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Then maybe a restart is required. If you search for "cap" in the preset manager, you should find it.Chris_TC wrote:After installing the addon and trying to use the command, Softimage throws an error (Traceback most recent call....)Hirazi Blue wrote:The first installment of the ICE Modeling workshop resulted in this little video
and this compound
The mailing list says that refreshing the presets in the ICE tree should fix the error. But after refreshing, the compound still doesn't appear in my preset list?
Assuming this is the same error as reported on the XSI mailing list.
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Does Python even come with Windows 7? I never installed this manually. If this is my problem, then I suppose this is the correct download?guillaume wrote:Edit : I saw that you did the refresh. If re-starting Softimage doesn't fix it, it looks like your python install is not good. Can you give us the full error message ?
http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2/
The error that's thrown is exactly identical to the one posted on the mailing list. Restarting Softimage and refreshing didn't make the compound show up in the preset list (searched for cap). It is properly installed on my hard drive though because I can find it in the addon directory and manually add it to an ICE tree via Import Compound.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
The Softimage installation includes Python, that's why Python works for you.
Where did you install the .xsiaddon? User location or workgroup?
Where did you install the .xsiaddon? User location or workgroup?
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
The default location, I didn't change anything. Location is:xsisupport wrote:Where did you install the .xsiaddon? User location or workgroup?
c:\users\username\Autodesk\Softimage_2012\Addons\ICEModelingTools.0.1
-
guillaume
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 22:01
Re: ICE Modeling Workshop @ the Mailing List
Could you copy/paste the errror message here ?