The use of Quicktime exporting with H264 codec - SI 2012

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

The use of Quicktime exporting with H264 codec - SI 2012

Post by Maximus » 15 Apr 2011, 15:05

Hey, since i use a lot h264 codec i went to try it with softimage, and it occurs that it doesnt work after first frame, it just fails the render, I've also found out that if you remove the "keyframe every" option it'll render just fine.
I just uncheck all the 2 options, about keyframing and velocity limit, and use quality slider only, thats it.

I wanted to share this so people who got problem with it will be pleased!

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: The use of Quicktime exporting with H264 codec - SI 2012

Post by mattmos » 15 Apr 2011, 15:17

I think I'm going to stick with mpeg4, with the h.264 codec the mb size is bigger without the keyframe option, and the codec does that funny gamma shift that needs sorting afterwards.

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: The use of Quicktime exporting with H264 codec - SI 2012

Post by origin » 15 Apr 2011, 15:41

from mailling list
H264 is a codec that support frame reordering decompression. This feature can't work easily in a capture as not all the frames are not on disk yet.
I think that's why it is not supported.
Also, H.264 only supports resolutions of even numbers.