install problems SI2012 fresh install

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
MoRbIdBoY
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 14:41

install problems SI2012 fresh install

Post by MoRbIdBoY » 11 Apr 2011, 22:30

Hi, I followed this thread from over on the Autodesk site. I posted a problem there regarding softimage, but so far I've got no reply. Wierd conisdering there are only about 4 posts on the whole softimage thread. Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me out. I can't even get softimage to run. (I would just like to try it out and see what it's about).

Some specifications.


Intel E6550 2.33 Ghz dual core.
4GB RAM.
NVIDIA 8600 GT. (Latest drivers from nVidia).
Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1.


It’s the first time I’ve ever installed softimage and I’m pretty much new to the 3D scene only learning 3DS max and Maya for the last 6 months. I don’t have any problems with Maya or 3DS Max and like I say it was a completely fresh install of softimage which appeared to go fine and without error.

The problem comes as soon as I start the program.
Along the top I get XSI_SAMPLES and Scene: Untitled.
A few toolbars are displayed very briefly and then the program exits.

If I rename the XSI_SAMPLES folder to bak_XSI_SAMPLES and start the program, it gets “slightly” further by displaying the Autodesk Project Manager. Each time I restart after the crash it asks me if I would like to try and recover from the situation. That's as far as I get.
~x(

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Rork » 12 Apr 2011, 07:15

Hi,

That's a weird issue, especially on a fresh install. Sometimes corrupt layouts can cause this, but in this case it should run just fine.
Also, some laptop configs were giving some issues, especially with finger-reader/login software.

You could do a couple of steps to see if things start to work:

- delete your Softimage user folder, and restart SI.
- if that doesn't work, run the runonce.bat command from a Softimage command window. (It's in the SI folder in the start menu.) Restart SI.
- if that doesn't work, try finding something similar on the help wiki
- if all fails, reinstall Sotimage again, pref. from a newly downloaded setup file.

hope it helps,

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by origin » 12 Apr 2011, 07:22

Ive seen that before and it was related to opengl. Lookup google for xsi opengl luc-eric. And installing newest drivers for a card thats so old its not good idea, you might try older ones.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Rork » 12 Apr 2011, 07:31

ah... yes, cards.

Also try turning off the antialiasing on the NVIDIA control panel to see if that works.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by bottleofram » 12 Apr 2011, 07:47

This is gonna be an unlikely one, but you should also try copying XSI_SAMPLES project folder into other partition than C: and try to run any of the sample scenes. .scn isnt usually set to open with soft so you'll have to drag a file over Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage xxxx\Application\bin\XSI.bat (or XSI.exe)

Win7 can sometimes have a problem with permissions and since fresh install of SI has this folder set as default, it might not be able to read the data. Not likely, tho

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by Rork » 12 Apr 2011, 07:57

Win7 has 'locked' most of the C drive, as it should have been from the beginning. The installer should have given the XSI_Samples folder read/write access.

Dropping the .scn file on the xsi.exe will not work, as you will be missing some startup vaiables et by the batfile by normal startup.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21

Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences

Post by bottleofram » 12 Apr 2011, 08:07

"Should have" is a good way to put it. However, it happened a couple of times in the past that it didn't. I stand corrected about xsi.exe but i didn't suggest it as a working solution, just a test

Cheers

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: install problems SI2012 fresh install

Post by xsisupport » 12 Apr 2011, 10:47

I replied on the AREA. Sorry I missed you post the other day.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

MoRbIdBoY
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Apr 2011, 14:41

Re: install problems SI2012 fresh install

Post by MoRbIdBoY » 12 Apr 2011, 11:11

Solved guys. Thanks ever so much for you help. (Cool forum BTW, great to see so many helpful responses). It was a STUPID mistake I felt like kicking myself. I use a utility called "Actual Tools Window Manage" for saving the positions of windows on the screen. Usually you can just exclude programs from it (I did for 3DS Max and Softimage, automatically).

This isn't enough however, exluding the program won't work. It has to be "stopped" and "unloaded"completely. Which is no problem at all... I'm just glad I've managed to get it going.

I can confirm though that the nVidia 8600 GT works OK on x64 Windows 7 with driver version 266.58 (latest as of 12-April-2011) just in case anyone else queries a low end card like this.

(I did go right back version 196.21 which worked as well!). I'll post a copy of this back on the Autodesk thread. Thanks again. ^:)^

Off for a play and much learning throughout the land... :-bd
(PS. Sorry for highjacking the thread! - Eek!).