rendermap rendering BUMP TO NORMAL MAP in SI 7.5 above

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
jaqu
Posts: 12
Joined: 30 Sep 2009, 13:03

rendermap rendering BUMP TO NORMAL MAP in SI 7.5 above

Post by jaqu » 12 Apr 2011, 03:58

Hi everyone :)

yesterday I tried rendermap in SI 2010 ,in order to bake out the "bump map" effect out of a highpoly in to a normal map texture
I am pretty sure this function was available in SI 7.5 before, but SI 2010 and SI 2011 doesn`t seem to function like the old days

I also tried ultimapper but it dosen`t recongize "bump map"effect

anybody encountering this strange problem?
:-?

Cryrid
Posts: 11
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 21:51

Re: rendermap rendering BUMP TO NORMAL MAP in SI 7.5 above

Post by Cryrid » 13 Apr 2011, 02:27

I'm not sure about the inclusion of the word highpoly as it could imply you want to achieve something different than what I'm thinking. But typically for bump-to-normals I've found to key to be in the roundcorners node as it lets you set the bump vector, which rendermap can then work with. It works great with round corners on its own, but I just tried plugging a bump-mapped plane into it and it too seemed to bake nicely.

Image

If it's what you're looking for, any version past 7.5 seems to require tangents to be applied and Rendermap set to use them as the basis.

jaqu
Posts: 12
Joined: 30 Sep 2009, 13:03

Re: rendermap rendering BUMP TO NORMAL MAP in SI 7.5 above

Post by jaqu » 13 Apr 2011, 03:56

Yep! the manual tangent assignment and disable automatic basis are my missing steps and VOLA!! problem solved!

Thanks Cryrid! :ymhug:
The link you offered is really a great help

hope this missing procedure well be written in the help menu