Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
curly
Posts: 77
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 06:43

Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by curly » 05 Mar 2011, 18:04

Hi,

I purchased Messiah Studio Pro for 40 bucks. Good deal, I thought. I opened up the T Rex demo scene and tried to record a preview AVI file. Guess what happened? My RAM usage skyrocketed my computer -> since I tried it on a 32 bit machine with only 2 GB RAM -> had to use the hard drive as a scratchdisk and if I opened up the Windows Task manager it stopped recording the preview.

Softimage is much better at generating a preview and opening it in flipbook. MY advice -> DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS BUGGY PIECE OF SOFTWARE. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.


SOFTIMAGE ROCKS ;)

Comments?

jamination
Posts: 174
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58

Re: Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by jamination » 06 Mar 2011, 04:40

Little harsh for first impressions. I'd say you'd have to give it a bit more time before you could give it a fair review.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

User avatar
wireframex
Posts: 425
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
Location: France

Re: Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by wireframex » 06 Mar 2011, 09:15

Yep

messiah is a good product not perfect but a lot things was made with it. If you have pb with it just go to the setuptab forum the community is very good.

--> http://setuptab.com/

Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by origin » 06 Mar 2011, 10:00

wild guess, you picked avi without compression and it tried to fit all frames to memory...

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Mar 2011, 11:29

For me it's still too early to tell as I haven't spent nearly enough time with Messiah to come to a well-founded conclusion, but I'd say: spending a mere 40 bucks on other software to unequivocally reaffirm your love for Softimage is not a bad investment either...
:D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 20:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by dirtydog » 07 Mar 2011, 15:41

A problem I've found is smoothing you model requires a metanurbs operator( tab key), but doesn't allow tris or ngons, you then have the tedious task of remodelling or quadrangulate and subdivide before export. i'am new to messiah maybe someone knows better.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Mar 2011, 20:56

Knowing full-well this topic is slightly out of place in this Softimage minded community, I can't resist:
According to Messiah's online help the problem only should occur with N-gons, while triangles should be fine...
At least that's how I read the following:
Objects must not have polygons with more than 4 points in order to be MetaNURBS-capable.
But this is merely from looking at the manual, I obviously can't guarantee that Messiah has read its own manual and acts accordingly...

:D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 20:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Messiah Studio for 40 bucks don't fall for it.

Post by dirtydog » 08 Mar 2011, 19:26

Sorry it is only ngons, the model I used had a ngon that i never picked up.