All Autodesk webcasts now online!

New plugins, tools etc.
calmasacow
Posts: 52
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 15:53

All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by calmasacow » 09 Feb 2011, 19:57

Here guys,
Mark sent me this like a week or so ago after I missed the Softimage<>Maya Interop one.

They are all online here now as well as a listing of upcoming ones.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... r002=95017

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by Rork » 10 Feb 2011, 08:50

I don't see the interop video listed there?
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by Bellsey » 10 Feb 2011, 09:25

you do still have to register in order to see these webcasts. The site in question is not like the AREA

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by Rork » 10 Feb 2011, 09:41

meh..... (-|

I still don't understand that way of thinking.
So I find some interesting piece of software, or great video on it, click the link.... and boom... login window.
Instant meh.. factor... moving on... :-B
If you want to get people excited or interested in stuff, the info has to be available without any hassle.

And for a lot of the AREA stuff you still have to log in too. One more reason I almost never go there. ~x(

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by Bellsey » 10 Feb 2011, 10:23

I know it can appear confusing about webcasts being broadcast and why there isn’t video straight away, etc. But I think it’s mainly because there are different Autodesk sites that get hosted by different regions, for different purposes.
Some videos are done for showoing workflow that will be beneficial to current users, whilst other are to show new features and releases to prospective customers, and there's often overlaps between the two. Remember Autodesk is a business like any other and it need to sell its products.

Although these webcast were shown as ‘global’ they were actually hosted on a US site with US links and contacts that guys like Mark and Lee have used before, and many of the US resellers advertising these webcasts to their customers etc. Although I can't say 100%, this could be why it didn’t appear on a more public site like the AREA, or there're not more public access. At present we don’t have the same type of thing on the EMEA side yet, otherwise I would of liked, if possible, to have repeated the webcast at a more EMEA friendly time, or hosted our own.
We did host an EMEA webcast last Oct with live chat, which worked very well and was positively received, so we’re hopefully looking to do more in the year ahead, acroos a variety of products, not just Softimage. And I would also like to add more video content to my blog as well.

However as good as this is, these types of webcasts can sometimes require registration, which can be tedious to some. Which is where sites like the AREA and the new Maya, Max and Softimage YouTube channels should come in to play. I don't think there's anything wrong with login access to site like the AREA, and its very common with community websites, including this one :) . If people make the effort to create accounts and login, there there should be extra benefits and rewards.

Regarding future webcasts, if you are EMEA customer and you have ideas of what you'd like to see from a webcast, then send me a pvt mail here. Don't overload me though, just keep the requests short. I can guarantee anything, but I can add any input to our discussions. Doesn't have to be Softimage only, it can be other M&E products as well including Creative Finishing like Flame, Smoke etc.

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by origin » 10 Feb 2011, 10:41

just type some random stuff in these fields :-
Rork wrote:meh..... (-|

I still don't understand that way of thinking.
So I find some interesting piece of software, or great video on it, click the link.... and boom... login window.
Instant meh.. factor... moving on... :-B
If you want to get people excited or interested in stuff, the info has to be available without any hassle.

And for a lot of the AREA stuff you still have to log in too. One more reason I almost never go there. ~x(

rob

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Feb 2011, 14:16

Well, I have to side with rork on this one. But if logging on really is deemed necessary, one would expect, using your "subscription center" logon should be acceptable identification. Out of principle having to register again and again to services seems a bit excessive.
And while I always zealously mark the "No thanks, I do not want to receive email updates from Autodesk" option, last year my mail address mysteriously landed with a non-Softimage retailing Autodesk reseller, making me a little bit jumpy to give all my info to yet another service and so making it even harder to track, who "leaks" my info...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by Bellsey » 10 Feb 2011, 15:08

I understand the frustration but using a Subs Center login, if you have one, isn't really going to work. To the best of my knowledge, these webcasts are not hosted from the main Autodesk site, or the AREA. So they don't sync up in that way.

Personally I would like to see any previous webcasts get moved and hosted on something like the AREA, or YouTube, so only a login and not full registration is required. But thats just me.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: All Autodesk webcasts now online!

Post by Rork » 11 Feb 2011, 08:47

Personally I would like to see any previous webcasts get moved and hosted on something like the AREA, or YouTube, so only a login and not full registration is required. But thats just me.
Trust me, it's not just you.... ;)

The almost schizophrenic intake of AD on things like these is maddening sometimes, not just these registrations without any purpose, but also the fragmented information on the various websites per country or region. It -doesn't- help your customers, it just frustrates them. And frustrated customers in the end start to look at alternatives. Not good for business...

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!