Move/c particle to specific area on surface

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Move/c particle to specific area on surface

Post by SreckoM » 16 Jan 2011, 19:46

I am not sure that title describes my problem good enough ...

Anyway, I have set up particle emission. I need to scatter a lot of grass blades over surface. Surface is pretty big so I manage to DELETE particles on parts that are not visible, out of camera fov, etc ...
Problem lies that I need to use really large number of particles so when all these that are not needed are deleted I have enough particles on visible parts. That chokes simulation a lot.
Is it possible somehow to move, not delete, particles to important part of surface, or to emit only from those places. I can not use txture maps nor weight maps as camera view is changing and amongst other things that also directs what particles are deleted or not.

Right now I need to emit several million of particles but at the end I am using just maybe 100.000. So it would be gr8 if somehow I could be more economic and use all emitted particles on places where I need them :D

Thanks!
- H -