Hi
I was wondering whether there's some way to compile a C# plugin so it doesn't need to be recompiled for each new release of Softimage.
What comes on top of that is that a C# plugins seems to be working with the version only that it was compiled for, not being backward-compatible.
This would make C# pretty useless imo.
Am I missing something here?
Cheers,
Ray
C# plugin compatibility question
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
C# plugin compatibility question
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: C# plugin compatibility question
I never was able to dig up any official confirmation on this, but judging from the few c# plugins out there, I'd say that's a fair assessment. Probably has something to do with the fact that C# plugins need to be compiled against a specific version of the SDK C# libraries...rray wrote:I was wondering whether there's some way to compile a C# plugin so it doesn't need to be recompiled for each new release of Softimage.
What comes on top of that is that a C# plugins seems to be working with the version only that it was compiled for, not being backward-compatible.
That, sadly, was my conclusion also...rray wrote:This would make C# pretty useless imo.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: C# plugin compatibility question
Hm I just found out that a .NET assembly (which from my limited perspective I think of as a combo dll+versioning info) can existist in multiple versions at once - so it might be possible to link a one-for-all version after all - so we'd have backwards compatibility at lease. Although I would have all assemblies ready first, which would mean work because I'd have to install each old Softimage version again. 
I think I better rewrite as JS
I think I better rewrite as JS
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: C# plugin compatibility question
Hmm, interesting...
Could you please share this newfound wisdom about C# linking (as to how this can be done)?
;)
Could you please share this newfound wisdom about C# linking (as to how this can be done)?
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: C# plugin compatibility question
That's at least how I interpreted the Gacutil output. Gacutil is the tool from Microsoft that's used to register and unregister assemblies in the global assembly cache (Shared-across-apps-assemblies).
I tried a /info call with it on one of the Softimage SDK assemblies and it output 2 registered versions at once, for each of the two SIs I have installed.
Now my extrapolation was, when I link with this "combo" assembly, it *might* be that it could be used for the two SIs at once. Will try that it a couple of days &write back here.
I tried a /info call with it on one of the Softimage SDK assemblies and it output 2 registered versions at once, for each of the two SIs I have installed.
Now my extrapolation was, when I link with this "combo" assembly, it *might* be that it could be used for the two SIs at once. Will try that it a couple of days &write back here.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026