Hi, I'm learning XSI through the DigitalTutors website. I have also tried the apprentice edition of Sidefx Houdini. I went through some basic Intro to Houdini training. I wasn't really convinced. If you see how difficult it is to even draw a spiral. If you see what Thiago Costa with his Slipstreamfx is doing.
My humble opinion is that the best combination for VFX is Softimage combined with 3DSMax (Fumefx, Krakatoa renderer, Phoenix fluid sim) and Realflow.
What's your opinion about it?
Houdini just seems to be a bit difficult in use.
What is the best software for VFX?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: What is the best software for VFX?
I wouldn't write off Houdini so easily... It might have a steeper learning curve than most other 3D apps, but it offers a lot more control to those who spend (some) time learning it. It's - as far as I can tell - still the "weapon of choice" of the VFX industry, not so much because you can do things "easily" with it, but because you do "anything" with it. The software enables you to do stuff, it does less stuff for you...
But I hasten to add:
I have only played with the Houdini Apprentice Edition a little, so I might be wrong...
But I hasten to add:
I have only played with the Houdini Apprentice Edition a little, so I might be wrong...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!