spawn from instances surface and not from particles centers
-
B-Maui
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 09:57
spawn from instances surface and not from particles centers
Does anyone know how to make particles to be spawn from the surfaces of a previous generation of instanced particles, and not from their centers?
-
Matic
- Posts: 70
- Joined: 18 Jun 2009, 17:58
Re: spawn from instances surface and not from particles centers
Spawn from the surface of instances? Spawning from the surface of an instance is a 'non-trivial' problem. Although it should be possible it won't be easy, and would involve a pretty sophisticated approach. I have the need for this myself, but I just don't have a few days to tackle it.
In general I would identify the instance in question, generate a set of points on the surface of the instance's master, and then transform them to match the scale and orientation of the instance, with of course provision to inheriting velocity and initializing the usual particle attributes.
...Similarly, there's no "off the shelf" compound for spawning from the surface of, say, a spherical particle, although that's a much easier prospect... you can get the size of the particle you're emitting from and then offset the position of spawned particles by the radius of the sphere.
In general I would identify the instance in question, generate a set of points on the surface of the instance's master, and then transform them to match the scale and orientation of the instance, with of course provision to inheriting velocity and initializing the usual particle attributes.
...Similarly, there's no "off the shelf" compound for spawning from the surface of, say, a spherical particle, although that's a much easier prospect... you can get the size of the particle you're emitting from and then offset the position of spawned particles by the radius of the sphere.
-
CiaranM
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:37
- Location: London
Re: spawn from instances surface and not from particles centers
Hi,
I've played with this idea a bit too: http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... #msg252627
I've played with this idea a bit too: http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... #msg252627
-
B-Maui
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 09:57