ICE Particle Volume Shader and Motion Blur

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

ICE Particle Volume Shader and Motion Blur

Post by ActionArt » 30 Nov 2010, 18:42

I've been experimenting with the ICE volume shader a lot and one thing I have never been able to get it to do is motion blur. Here is an example. The tire smoke behind the car should be blurred but isn't. I've tried everything I can think of. Does anyone have experience with this? I've experimented with the motion blur samples in the shader and tried every type of motion blur available in MR but it just ignores it.

Thanks for any help!


Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: ICE Particle Volume Shader and Motion Blur

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Nov 2010, 19:25

Just to rule out the obvious: Are you using a cached pointcloud (like you should)?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: ICE Particle Volume Shader and Motion Blur

Post by ActionArt » 30 Nov 2010, 20:03

Yes, I cached the point cloud and I'm pretty sure I did it right. I'll take another look. Thanks.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: ICE Particle Volume Shader and Motion Blur

Post by ActionArt » 30 Nov 2010, 22:48

Now I'm really confused. There seems to be several ways of caching particles, none of which produced the desired results yet. When I use the cache manager in the animate or ice menus it works fine on playback and scrubbing but the volume renderer refuses to work on it at all (renders a blank). The caching in the Environments/Simulation Time Control seems to have no effect on rendering (which is what I was using).

There seems to be a ICE node for caching as well but I haven't got it to work yet.

Any insight on how to cache this correctly for rendering?

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: ICE Particle Volume Shader and Motion Blur

Post by ActionArt » 01 Dec 2010, 22:50

Has anyone successfully used motion blur on the particle volume shader? Just so I know if I'm wasting my time or not trying to figure this out :(

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: ICE Particle Volume Shader and Motion Blur

Post by ActionArt » 30 Jan 2011, 19:47

I FINALLY figured out how to make motion blur work with the particle volume shader. Here's the trick for anyone who might be interested:

1) Cache Particles - this is in the documentation

2) Turn OFF scanline for primary rays! (Raytrace ONLY) - this is what I was missing and doesn't seem to be in the documentation.

Now it works perfectly and fairly fast.