misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
-
valentine
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:05
misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
Hi,
I lately got some weird errors when using a lightmap in conjunction with misss_fast. The lightmap did its job for a while, but suddenly it stopped being updated/rendered. When i fire up a render MR tells me:
// ERROR : PHEN 0.7 error: misss_lightmap_write: Lightmap 16777275 is not writable, aborting lightmapping.
// ERROR : PHEN 0.13 error: misss_fast_shader_init: Lightmap is not 32 bit 4 component
I already created a new lightmap via RTree/UserTools/CreateSSSLightmap but with no luck. Even when I delete the Lightmap from my harddrive altogether it doesn't get newly written or updated. I also migrated the shader and the model into a fresh scene, again without luck...
Any idea whats going wrong here? That whole SSS thing in XSI is just a bloody mess ;(
I'm working with XSI 7.01 on Windows Seven x64.
Best regards
valentine
I lately got some weird errors when using a lightmap in conjunction with misss_fast. The lightmap did its job for a while, but suddenly it stopped being updated/rendered. When i fire up a render MR tells me:
// ERROR : PHEN 0.7 error: misss_lightmap_write: Lightmap 16777275 is not writable, aborting lightmapping.
// ERROR : PHEN 0.13 error: misss_fast_shader_init: Lightmap is not 32 bit 4 component
I already created a new lightmap via RTree/UserTools/CreateSSSLightmap but with no luck. Even when I delete the Lightmap from my harddrive altogether it doesn't get newly written or updated. I also migrated the shader and the model into a fresh scene, again without luck...
Any idea whats going wrong here? That whole SSS thing in XSI is just a bloody mess ;(
I'm working with XSI 7.01 on Windows Seven x64.
Best regards
valentine
-
valentine
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:05
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
Well, it seems that XSI isn't somehow capable of feeding lightmap data into a lightmap_write node through a compound port. at least not all the time. When I copy the lightmap into my sss compound it works again, the lightmap is updated and the image is rendered properly.
The weird thing is: it worked once before and then suddenly stopped working. I even completely deleted the compounds lightmap port and created a new one from scratch - still it doesn't work as supposed. Could it be that during the forwarding of the lightmap data to the compound some weird conversion problems arise? Like, that the alpha channel is discarded or something the like?
Any help resolving those issues would be really appreciated!
Regards
valentine ;)
The weird thing is: it worked once before and then suddenly stopped working. I even completely deleted the compounds lightmap port and created a new one from scratch - still it doesn't work as supposed. Could it be that during the forwarding of the lightmap data to the compound some weird conversion problems arise? Like, that the alpha channel is discarded or something the like?
Any help resolving those issues would be really appreciated!
Regards
valentine ;)
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
Okay, I reinstalled my good old XSI 7.01 to check this out, but wasn't able to reproduce your problems "right out of the box". This obviously doesn't mean, there is nothing wrong, but I could easily render out multiple frame with both misss & both compounds (with extra lightmaps added). So now I'm thinking: something wrong with your installation? Corrupted XSI folder/workgroup (XSI unable to write there)?
Now that I've reinstalled 7.01 I am willing to test some things, to find out what's wrong...
;)
P.S. Troubleshooting 101 often helps
Now that I've reinstalled 7.01 I am willing to test some things, to find out what's wrong...
;)
P.S. Troubleshooting 101 often helps
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
valentine
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:05
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
hi hirazi,Hirazi Blue wrote:Okay, I reinstalled my good old XSI 7.01 to check this out, but wasn't able to reproduce your problems "right out of the box". This obviously doesn't mean, there is nothing wrong, but I could easily render out multiple frame with both misss & both compounds (with extra lightmaps added). So now I'm thinking: something wrong with your installation? Corrupted XSI folder/workgroup (XSI unable to write there)?
Now that I've reinstalled 7.01 I am willing to test some things, to find out what's wrong...
;)
P.S. Troubleshooting 101 often helps
thx for taking the time reinstalling v7 ;)
as i wrote in my previous post: i only get that error when feeding my sss-network - which lies inside a compound - from outside of the compound with a lightmap. as soon as the lightmip lies inside the compound too, the problems disappear and mental ray produces beautiful sss - btw: kudos to zap who has developed a nice piece of software here ;). so it seems to be not a disk or configuration issue but more a problem of the ports (lightmap port in this case) of the compounds. the weird things is: it worked once.
since i already had to recreate my entire compound - which is fairly complex by the way - because i couldn't import it after exporting it (unspecified failure), i honestly don't wanna redo it from scratch again
regards
valentine
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
Could be that I'm misunderstanding you again, but I'm not certain it has much to do with the compound ports either, because plugging a clip/"writable source" (from User Tools > Create SSS Lightmap) into the provided SimpleSSS and SkinSSS compound does seem to work flawlessly.
I assume your writable source is set to "map" and "float"?
I assume your writable source is set to "map" and "float"?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
valentine
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:05
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
yes, of course. that was the first thing i doublechecked when those problems arose ;). for better or for worse i gotta have to create a way less complex testcompund later when i'm at my office. so just to be sure: when u create a custom compound including one or more misss_fast and a lightmap_write node whose are feeded with a lightmap from outside and then outputs the results of the lightmap_write as well as of the misss_fast through the outgoing ports of the compound works without lightmapping erros?Hirazi Blue wrote:Could be that I'm misunderstanding you again, but I'm not certain it has much to do with the compound ports either, because plugging a "misss_lightmap_write" into the provided SimpleSSS and SkinSSS compound does seem to work flawlessly.
I assume your writable source is set to "map" and "float"?
regards
valentine
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
I've so far only tried this with the provided SkinSSS & SimpleSSS and about 10 frames of animation, but that seemed to work without a hitch.
(ATM I am nowhere near my workstation, but I'm assuming the fact it worked with the aforementioned compounds means it should work equally well with custom made ones, as there is AFAIK "no magic involved" in the provided ones)
(ATM I am nowhere near my workstation, but I'm assuming the fact it worked with the aforementioned compounds means it should work equally well with custom made ones, as there is AFAIK "no magic involved" in the provided ones)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
valentine
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:05
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
Hirazi Blue wrote:I've so far only tried this with the provided SkinSSS & SimpleSSS and about 10 frames of animation, but that seemed to work without a hitch.
(ATM I am nowhere near my workstation, but I'm assuming the fact it worked with the aforementioned compounds means it should work equally well with custom made ones, as there is AFAIK "no magic involved" in the provided ones)
well, in softimage "should work" has always been "could work" ;)
-
MV-
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 05 Dec 2010, 15:21
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
Hi Valentine,
I came across the very same problem not so long ago. I've been lucky enough to find a solution on my own.
The indexes and secondaryports seem to change/switch when you tweak a compound, causing the lightmap computation to fail.
What you have to do to fix it is quite simple :
1/ Export your SSS compound and open it with notepad or any text/xml editor
2/ Find the line where you can see your misss_lightmap_write shader and remember its index.
The index is "5" in this example.
In the previous example the index was "5", so the first index now HAS TO BE set to "5" here too.
Then your shallowscatter and deepscatter shaders can be exposed as secondary ports in no particular order.
Hope this helps
I came across the very same problem not so long ago. I've been lucky enough to find a solution on my own.
The indexes and secondaryports seem to change/switch when you tweak a compound, causing the lightmap computation to fail.
What you have to do to fix it is quite simple :
1/ Export your SSS compound and open it with notepad or any text/xml editor
2/ Find the line where you can see your misss_lightmap_write shader and remember its index.
The index is "5" in this example.
3/ Find the exposed ports of the Lightmap (further in the compound file) and replace the "port index=x" by the index of your misss_lightmap_write.<node type="shader" progid="Softimage.misss_lightmap_write.1.0" index="5">
In the previous example the index was "5", so the first index now HAS TO BE set to "5" here too.
The lightmap has to be called first so it can actually compute/write the file.<port index="5" portname="lightmap" username="light" displayname="Lightmap">
<secondaryport index="1" portname="lightmap"></secondaryport>
<secondaryport index="2" portname="lightmap"></secondaryport>
Then your shallowscatter and deepscatter shaders can be exposed as secondary ports in no particular order.
Hope this helps
Last edited by MV- on 05 Dec 2010, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
-
valentine
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:05
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
great, i'm gonna try that one out as soon as possible. thanks & best regards ;)MV- wrote:Hi Valentine,
I came across the very same problem not so long ago. I've been lucky enough to find a solution on my own.
The indexes and secondaryports seem to change/switch when you tweak a compound, causing the lightmap computation to fail.
What you have to do to fix it is quite simple :
1/ Export your SSS compound and open it with notepad or any text/xml editor
2/ Find the line where you can see your misss_lightmap_write shader and remember its index.
The index is "5" in this example.3/ Find the exposed ports of the Lightmap (further in the compound file) and replace the "port index=x" by the index of your misss_lightmap_write.<node type="shader" progid="Softimage.misss_lightmap_write.1.0" index="5">
In this example the index was "5", so the first index HAS TO BE "5".The lightmap has to be called first so it can actually compute/write the file.<port index="5" portname="lightmap" username="light" displayname="Lightmap">
<secondaryport index="1" portname="lightmap"></secondaryport>
<secondaryport index="2" portname="lightmap"></secondaryport>
Then your shallowscatter and deepscatter shaders can be exposed as secondary ports in no particular order.
Hope this helps
valentine
-
MV-
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 05 Dec 2010, 15:21
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
Oh, you're welcome! Please let us know if it worked for you ;)
-
valentine
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:05
Re: misss_fast / lightmaps broken?
As expected: it workedMV- wrote:Oh, you're welcome! Please let us know if it worked for you ;)
BTW: Those kind of problems are pretty common when using Softimage. Anyway, thx again for sharing your fixes
Regards
valentine