Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Nov 2010, 20:10

This has been bugging me for a couple of days, but hopefully merely stems from my utter noob-ness in matters of simulation/meshing: I have been experimenting with Lagoa and tried using the new built-in (em)Polygonizer to mesh it all together (and add a Lagoa Fluid Shaper as well). This works fine, but at a certain point in more than one experiment it looks like the Polygonizer just quits from one try to the next - rewind and replay - i.e. it's result doesn't show up in neither viewport or render. So far deleting the Polygonizer object and setting it up from scratch again looked like the only way to get the Polygonizer back. Maybe someone with a little more experience can point out the obviously very basic mistake I'm probably making.
Thanks in advance. %-( :D

Technically not really an ICE Topic, I know,
but I moved it from Modeling as it technically is a modeling issue,
but somehow seemed a bit out of place there also...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Nov 2010, 19:34

Thanks for the many helpful suggestions... :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by origin » 18 Nov 2010, 19:50

increasing emp memory limit doesnt help?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Nov 2010, 19:53

Sadly no... I tried that already, without the desired result...
(But now: really thanks for your reply! ;) )
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by ActionArt » 01 Dec 2010, 21:59

I've run into this same problem too. Also, I can't get it to cache the mesh properly. I ran a whole simulation and it saved the first and last frame! I found out that it cached whatever frame you manually click on but nothing in between.

Very frustrating so far.

Also, I've had it give a memory error message when there is clearly way more than it's using (memory limit turned off).

Not too happy with this pluggin so far.

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by SamHowell » 01 Dec 2010, 22:28

Tried polygonizer today for the first time. I experienced the same problem. I have no solution, hopefully you will feel better knowing that others feel your pain. ~x(

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by ActionArt » 01 Dec 2010, 22:37

I've been working with it for the last couple days. The only solution I found so far was to restart SI, delete the polygonizer entry and add it again, starting from scratch. This fixed the caching problem and the mesh seems OK so far. It appears that if it ever runs low on memory, it's toast and you have to start all over again.

My impression so far is that it has trouble handling even very basic simulations, is painful slow and not very stable. I certainly wouldn't want to use it on anything complex.

Too bad, it looked so interesting...

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by ActionArt » 04 Dec 2010, 18:46

One thing I've learned is that when I ran a simulation with Lagoa, it had some stray particles that shot way out of the area of interest, effectively dramatically increasing the volume of the bounding box of the particles.

This seems to cause Polygonizer trouble. It seems that it uses volumetric methods to do it's thing and when the volume becomes very large it eats up ram very fast. In my case 8GB was gone in a flash for something that seemed simple.

The solution was to get the particles under control and restrict the volume of the bounding box containing the particles and it's working much better.

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by SamHowell » 06 Dec 2010, 10:15

Very interesting!

I also had stray particles flying off when I experienced the dissapearing mesh.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Dec 2010, 11:09

Strangely enough "my" disappearing mesh was based on a particle cloud, that was static to begin with,
a densely filled grid, deleting particles over time. So no stray particles there. :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by owei » 06 Dec 2010, 16:16

...the built in Polygonizer has no octree, this way it blows up on particles that are too far away from each other. Static or not, hirazi, if only one particles is too far off, it will cause problems. So you might check, with a filter by volume for example, that your cloud will be OK for polygonizer. Could it be, that the scaling of you cloud is too big? How do you delete the particles over time? Try to set their size to zero instead...just as a test...

cheers,
oliver

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Dec 2010, 16:19

owei wrote:Try to set their size to zero instead...just as a test...
I'll try that, thanks... ;)
(I was trying to punch a nicely non-uniformly growing hole in a mesh based on an animated texture map
by simply deleting the corresponding particles in my Point Cloud.)
I find it strange the mesh disappears (at replay) at frame 0 when no particles have been deleted yet.
Or am I totally misunderstanding the concept here?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by owei » 06 Dec 2010, 16:28

...send the scene over and I´ll have look.. ;)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Dec 2010, 17:21

Thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you! :ymhug:
'Now that I've just reopened one of the scenes of which the Polygonizer mesh DEFINITIVELY disappeared
and run through it a few times, the disappearance couldnt be reproduced by me anymore :-o

So now I am extremely puzzled (and mystified), but I will have to look into it some more.

Scenes that don't work and start working again after complaining about them. 8-}
What is the world getting to?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
owei
Administrator
Posts: 840
Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
Location: Siegen/Germany

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by owei » 06 Dec 2010, 17:45

...that sounds crazy, but there are (some) bugs in SI that produce this behavior...as far as I know..Some ICE stuff internally is not updatet/connected correctly until a reload of the scene...hopefully it will be fixed soon!

cheers,
oliver

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Polygonizer mesh disappears???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Dec 2010, 18:56

Good to know, it's not (just) me going crazy... :ymhug:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!