2011.5 ICE Tree View instability?

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

2011.5 ICE Tree View instability?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Oct 2010, 10:53

Not sure what's going on, but I am getting a whole lot of Softimage-crashes (as in the program shuts down completely) in SI2011.5 while working with the ICE Tree View, even with such mundane tasks as simply dragging a new node into it. Might (or might not :-\ ) be related to my other problem with the 2011.5 ICE Tree View (SAP ICE Tree sluggish?). At the moment it stops me from enjoying most of the new toys of SI2011.5 so I could really use some guidance as to what might be going on (and how to fix it, obviously)...
:-?

update & edit: As you can probably get from my wording, so far I've not yet been able to find anything reproducible in these crashes, other than that they happened in the ICE Tree View.

extra edit: Tomorrow I'll try updating my Quadro driver although I sincerely doubt that's the culprit...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: 2011.5 ICE Tree View instability?

Post by xsisupport » 22 Oct 2010, 14:37

Do you mean like that crash you were having with MOM Init Rigid Bodies?
Where'd that post go anyway? I spent some testing and then when I hit Reply, the post has disappeared.

I can repro the crash with MOM Init Rigid Bodies.
Seems like an initialization problem.

Create a new empty simulated ICE tree on the point cloud.
Drag MOM Init Rigid Bodies into that empty ICE Tree.
Now you should be able to drag MOM Init Rigid Bodies into your real ICE tree, and delete that temp ICE tree.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: 2011.5 ICE Tree View instability?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Oct 2010, 14:42

Sorry, I removed that because I started to doubt myself
(and am ATM physically unwell, which obviously impeded my clear thinking :ymsick: :ymblushing: ).
The lack of written documentation for MOM also made me
somewhat uncertain if I followed the correct procedure.
So I mistakenly removed the post. Sorry!!!
FYI - The post xsisupport refers to here was one of mine complaining
that dragging a MOM Init RigidBodies node into an existing ICE Tree
(even before connecting it) crashes SI2011.5.

Thanks for testing it & confirming this doesn't just happen here,
I also found out an alternative solution to the one you mention:
creating a "Momentum ground" before anything else
seems to prevent the crash from occurring.

Thanks, xsisupport, as always! :ymhug:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!