Bellsey wrote:izze wrote:Iray is certainly an exciting technology, but personally I don't think it would really benefit Softimage (or Maya) customers right now, in this release. Also we have to ensure that customers can actually work with and use the technology, its no good to anyone to crowbar a feature in with bad and buggy implementation.
Thank you. I am so glad the Softimage team understands that.
Looking forward to the update!
cool, but I just wanted to point out that I wasn't suggesting that iRay was bad or buggy, far from it. Watching one of my Max collegues use it, it looks great. I just noticed how what I said, might have come across like that though, doh!
What I was meaning was that, we'd always want to make sure that
any feature implementation is right and our customers can get the most out of it. Although many of our apps share similar features, they also have to be consistent with the UI/workflow of the relevent package as well.
I was the one who mentioned iRay and a unit of measure earlier...I wasn't referring to this release persay, but in the near future - i.e. like 2012 hopefully..then that would be a nice addition. To me, the end result is what I get paid by. While Max currently has iRay, there is now a major difference between Apps in terms of overall rendering time and quality/accuracy of renders. I think it is definitely something that needs to be looked at, and I did request it to Autodesk via their request page multiple times. While Lagoa is awesome and so is ICE, for me, in its current stage it has limited actual real-world use aside from maybe VFX or personal curiosity - I guess the future will tell what will come of its uses. Now rendering, everyone needs that more-or-less in one way or another. I am not trying to down-play Lagoa or ICE at all, sans an arguement, I am just saying that negelecting certain extremely important features even that they are being requested multiple times over (iRay is a newer request, but an option for "unit of measure" has been asked for years and years now), should be looked at soon. I definitely agree I dont want things to be rushed to squeeze them into a release, but even in Mental Ray 3.8 some features were not implemented correctly, and still not even touched in this release...that would have been a little nicer to have seen.
So far, I still feel that Lagoa is in Softimage and I agree that the PR statements were most likely written earlier on, but then I also see Owei's point...why were they not corrected? and if nothing has been changed in the release, then those PR statements should be corrected.