But then you pin the xsi.exe not the xsi.bat, which doesn't call the setenv.bat thus ignoring all your user settings.Superpositivo wrote:You cannot drag in it. But you can still pin it by the context menu, with right click on the icon on the taks bar..when you start Softimage.Nizar wrote: Another strange things is I cannot put softimage icon into windows bar (I using windows 7)
small annoying things
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: small annoying things
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: small annoying things
Personally I don't need this (a shortcut on my desktop - "old skool", so to speak - will do for me), but the method described by luceric on the Softimage Mailing List should actually work fine, if you want to pin Softimage to the taskbar:
;)
(quoted from here)1) Run Softimage, right click on taskbar and select "Pin this program to taskbar"
2) quit Softimage (important otherwise step 3 won't work)
3) shift-right-click on the Softimage icon on the taskbar and select Properties
4) change xsi.exe to xsi.bat
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Superpositivo
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48
Re: small annoying things
Exactly. I do always like that.
In the points it's not listed that when you change in XSI.BAT, it will lose the icon replacing it with a System Icon, so it's bettere Copying the XSI.exe Icon path before renaming it, and then paste it soon after.
In the points it's not listed that when you change in XSI.BAT, it will lose the icon replacing it with a System Icon, so it's bettere Copying the XSI.exe Icon path before renaming it, and then paste it soon after.
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: small annoying things
Quite an effort, when you can drag a normal link in the toolbar and don't have to edit anything ;)Superpositivo wrote:Exactly. I do always like that.
In the points it's not listed that when you change in XSI.BAT, it will lose the icon replacing it with a System Icon, so it's bettere Copying the XSI.exe Icon path before renaming it, and then paste it soon after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
Superpositivo
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48
Re: small annoying things
...but it looks like you are using Win XP, is it right?...Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Quite an effort, when you can drag a normal link in the toolbar and don't have to edit anything ;)
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: small annoying things
No, it's Win 7.Superpositivo wrote:...but it looks like you are using Win XP, is it right?...Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Quite an effort, when you can drag a normal link in the toolbar and don't have to edit anything ;)
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
Superpositivo
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48
Re: small annoying things
So, just for everybody to know.. what do you exactly do?...I never heard of such way to pin the Softimage Icon on the task bar.
Edit: ok, I understood. It works, but only if you create a new toolbar on the task bar, so it's a different choice.
Edit: ok, I understood. It works, but only if you create a new toolbar on the task bar, so it's a different choice.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: small annoying things
yeah, it's not pinning.Superpositivo wrote:So, just for everybody to know.. what do you exactly do?...I never heard of such way to pin the Softimage Icon on the task bar.
Edit: ok, I understood. It works, but only if you create a new toolbar on the task bar, so it's a different choice.
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: small annoying things
Once you create a toolbar, you can drag and drop anything in it. It has several advantages over pinning: You can have multiple toolbars with custom names, good for organizing, you can show the names of the links (or not, if you prefer), you see immediately if a program is run, but minimized and you can start multiple instances more easily, because you just click on the link, not right click on the pinned icon and select the program in the context menu. I like i that way, it's much more comfortable.Superpositivo wrote:So, just for everybody to know.. what do you exactly do?...I never heard of such way to pin the Softimage Icon on the task bar.
Edit: ok, I understood. It works, but only if you create a new toolbar on the task bar, so it's a different choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
benoit81
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51
Re: small annoying things
Hello,
I have a question regarding the tweak component tool :
If I locked a pivot position, snapping points do not work anymore in the tweak comp. mode. Also in this mode, how can I change the pivot position? How can I add or remove points of the selection ?
I also have a question regarding Softimage 2014, I have installed the demo version (I'm in a souscription, but I find no reason to switch to 2014). I still have a question about the new packing UV tools :
The new pack UV seems great and work with multiple objects selected. But it can not work with a polygon selection, it change every UV island (even if not selected or worst even if UV points have been pined).
Any idea ?
Regards,
I have a question regarding the tweak component tool :
If I locked a pivot position, snapping points do not work anymore in the tweak comp. mode. Also in this mode, how can I change the pivot position? How can I add or remove points of the selection ?
I also have a question regarding Softimage 2014, I have installed the demo version (I'm in a souscription, but I find no reason to switch to 2014). I still have a question about the new packing UV tools :
The new pack UV seems great and work with multiple objects selected. But it can not work with a polygon selection, it change every UV island (even if not selected or worst even if UV points have been pined).
Any idea ?
Regards,
-
Superpositivo
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48
Re: small annoying things
Well, for multiple istances you can just Middle Click on an icon, it just works with whatever and if you put your main software on the first 10 icons, you can open them with "windows key + [icon number position]".Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Once you create a toolbar, you can drag and drop anything in it. It has several advantages over pinning: You can have multiple toolbars with custom names, good for organizing, you can show the names of the links (or not, if you prefer), you see immediately if a program is run, but minimized and you can start multiple instances more easily, because you just click on the link, not right click on the pinned icon and select the program in the context menu. I like i that way, it's much more comfortable.Superpositivo wrote:So, just for everybody to know.. what do you exactly do?...I never heard of such way to pin the Softimage Icon on the task bar.
Edit: ok, I understood. It works, but only if you create a new toolbar on the task bar, so it's a different choice.
With "a new toolbar is a different choice" I meant because not everybody want or need that, even if sure, it can be a good way to be organized if somebody needs it. The main problem was to pin the Softimage Icon on the Main Task bar, so, actually there is still one way and it's not that pain, once you know it.
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: small annoying things
Great idea, I never thought of that. I haven't tried it yet, but from the description I'd say that this is a super cool workaround.grahamef wrote:Instead of scaling an instance by -1, use a clone and apply a Symmetrize op. The Weld option is on by default. Make the clone unselectable so that you are only working on the original.
To avoid z-buffer artefacts, apply a Display property to make the original always wireframe and turn off Override Object Properties in the viewports.
Of course I'd still rather see a post-modeling history stack
-
grahamef
- Posts: 281
- Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01
Re: small annoying things
Of course. So would I. Or rather, pre- and post-symmetry modeling stacks.Chris_TC wrote:grahamef wrote:Of course I'd still rather see a post-modeling history stack![]()
-
gfxman
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14
Re: small annoying things
For the symmetry problem, it's incredible how many solution softimage has (made from users) but how many people still ask for it:
1 the ice solution :http://vimeo.com/35609575
2: two very usefull and clever tutorial on symmetry modeling for cylindrical or rounded obj
http://vimeo.com/60583597
http://vimeo.com/60209270
3: the "multi"script (and the best/most versatile solution, maybe the less fast and intuitive but more powerful) from the user spookymunky:
here is his video-tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py4cQphaK2k
here were the scripts:
https://www.si-community.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3410&p=28253#p28253
the topic is gone, i don't know why.... i have the scripts on my pc, but i don't know if it's right to post them again, it the official topic is gon.
4 - here is the myara symmetry tool:
https://www.si-community.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2272&hilit=symmetry
5 - i got on my pc, a simple j-script made from someone on xsibase ages ago, that half deletes the obj, creates the clone and toggle selection, i'll post it on mondey when i got access to my computer.
( You just have to clone(not duplicate) the half of the object, scale it negatively then merge the 2 halves with history.
Now you can hide the negatively scaled clone.
Make the merged object unselectable after subdividing it with geometry approximation (by pressing +).
Now you can work on the original half and see how your entire smoothed object looks. It's a really great way to work. You can extrude and do all kind of modifications. )
1 the ice solution :http://vimeo.com/35609575
2: two very usefull and clever tutorial on symmetry modeling for cylindrical or rounded obj
http://vimeo.com/60583597
http://vimeo.com/60209270
3: the "multi"script (and the best/most versatile solution, maybe the less fast and intuitive but more powerful) from the user spookymunky:
here is his video-tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py4cQphaK2k
here were the scripts:
https://www.si-community.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3410&p=28253#p28253
the topic is gone, i don't know why.... i have the scripts on my pc, but i don't know if it's right to post them again, it the official topic is gon.
4 - here is the myara symmetry tool:
https://www.si-community.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2272&hilit=symmetry
5 - i got on my pc, a simple j-script made from someone on xsibase ages ago, that half deletes the obj, creates the clone and toggle selection, i'll post it on mondey when i got access to my computer.
( You just have to clone(not duplicate) the half of the object, scale it negatively then merge the 2 halves with history.
Now you can hide the negatively scaled clone.
Make the merged object unselectable after subdividing it with geometry approximation (by pressing +).
Now you can work on the original half and see how your entire smoothed object looks. It's a really great way to work. You can extrude and do all kind of modifications. )
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: small annoying things
grahamef wrote:pre- and post-symmetry modeling stacks.
There's an idea, highlighting, needs to get picked up
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: small annoying things
Wouldnt hurt if post-sim would support modeling changes... who cares if Point IDs change that late in the process?
Good for thikening cloth sims
Good for thikening cloth sims
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/