Cinema 4d r15?
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
Can only reply with one of my ex students uses it extensively and prefers it zbrush and 3dcoat. Havent actually played with it myself as yet.
You can download a demo of just bodypaint to test luckily
You can download a demo of just bodypaint to test luckily
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
Thank you all. I probably should have made it clearer that I’m primarily thinking of replacing 3D Coat with Cinema 4d/Bodypaint 3D for its texturing/painting toolset. Sculpting would be a benefit. That’s the main reason not to go for ZBrush and Mudbox. But I must admit I played with the ZBrush demo for a while and just “didn’t get it”. In that light: 3D Coat hasn’t really updated its texturing/painting toolset anymore ever since it became a sculpting tool primarily.
Buying more than one dedicated application would additionally mean learning more than one application. I am an old man (yes I am), I dread learning too many new things.
I have a secret love affair with Maxon. A special edition of their Cinema 4D 6 XL was on a coverdisc of 3D World magazine once and I worked with it extensively until Softimage dropped the price of XSI Foundation.
I will obviously try the demo soon, I’ve fallen into the habit of asking around first, before deciding even to try it. A “query before you try before you buy” sort of thing.
![On the phone :)]](./images/smilies/100.gif)
Buying more than one dedicated application would additionally mean learning more than one application. I am an old man (yes I am), I dread learning too many new things.
I have a secret love affair with Maxon. A special edition of their Cinema 4D 6 XL was on a coverdisc of 3D World magazine once and I worked with it extensively until Softimage dropped the price of XSI Foundation.
I will obviously try the demo soon, I’ve fallen into the habit of asking around first, before deciding even to try it. A “query before you try before you buy” sort of thing.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
reberhart
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 18:28
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
Most artists at my company have switched over to 3D Coat for 3D painting. Bodypaint (C4D) displays a limited number of colors compared to other 3D paint apps (Mudbox, 3D Coat, Modo, and MARI), which gives you terrible color banding issues in the display (although not on your actual textures). Apply a smooth gradient to your model and you'll see what I mean. It's actually shocking to me that they've gone so many versions without correcting this issue. I'm curious to see if this issue persists in R15.
-
ojo3D
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
- Location: SP / Brazil
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
reberhart wrote:Most artists at my company have switched over to 3D Coat for 3D painting. Bodypaint (C4D) displays a limited number of colors compared to other 3D paint apps (Mudbox, 3D Coat, Modo, and MARI), which gives you terrible color banding issues in the display (although not on your actual textures). Apply a smooth gradient to your model and you'll see what I mean. It's actually shocking to me that they've gone so many versions without correcting this issue. I'm curious to see if this issue persists in R15.
That's one of the biggest complains that I read in C4D forums. How did Maxon let BP, being the leader in 3D painting years ago, stays the way it is now. Not only MARI, but Mudbox, Modo, 3D Coat are better.
In any case. Doesn't Luxology has that promotion for other owners of app to buy it? Maybe you could use it to buy Modo. For what you'll be using, I think it's way better then BP. And the modeling tools and renders are awesome.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
Okay, you’ve got my attention. This color banding issue sounds like deal breaker. I probably should have bought Modo last year, today it’s simply out of my financial league. I haven’t been able to dig up new sidegrade prices yet, but those won’t shave that much of the price, I’m afraid. Reluctantly, I’ll now have to wait what the upgrade price on 3D Coat (from 3 to 4) is going to be.
And BTW and as an aside, Blender isn’t an option… I don’t like Blender and it doesn’t like me! And Blender is the true Autodesk of Open Source: it gobbles up most of the interesting open source development in 3D, forcing Ton Roosendaals weird fantasy of how a User Interface should work upon it and the unsuspecting world.

And BTW and as an aside, Blender isn’t an option… I don’t like Blender and it doesn’t like me! And Blender is the true Autodesk of Open Source: it gobbles up most of the interesting open source development in 3D, forcing Ton Roosendaals weird fantasy of how a User Interface should work upon it and the unsuspecting world.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
Blender to me is very similar to Lightwave. If you can just get past the modeller interface you are rocking. One of our students works in Blender and the speed at which he can work and the results he gets are amazing. Its just when I open blender and all that crap happens when you try and move and select stuff it just does my head in.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
ojo3D
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
- Location: SP / Brazil
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
angus_davidson wrote:Blender to me is very similar to Lightwave. If you can just get past the modeller interface you are rocking. One of our students works in Blender and the speed at which he can work and the results he gets are amazing. Its just when I open blender and all that crap happens when you try and move and select stuff it just does my head in.
Yeah ... I've tried Blender too and I couldn't pass the interface. I guess I have the same problem with LightWave. But worst than that, I have lot's of lag in the layout. I do have a little to in C4D, but in Modo or Autodesk products, the viewport flies. Go figure ... must me some kind of configuration. I'm even working in a smaller resolution in C4D to gain more speed.
Three softwares that I just don't click: ZBrush, Blender and LightWave. Gosh ... I think I even prefere GIMP. o/
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
You really need to 'forget' the traditional UI if you use Blender, because once you get that it's a single window app, how each 'section' is configurable, and because it's consistent in it's implementation, it will (eventually) make sense. Plus it was a sensible way to go for a multi-OS system, and qt is not free for commercial use.Hirazi Blue wrote:I don’t like Blender and it doesn’t like me! And Blender is the true Autodesk of Open Source: it gobbles up most of the interesting open source development in 3D, forcing Ton Roosendaals weird fantasy of how a User Interface should work upon it and the unsuspecting world.
The AD of OS is not a fair comparison. Example - Blender has osl shading, which even Arnold does not have (except sony's version) so it does offer a way to start to learn and play with tomorrows new technologies, who else does that? Never-mind at zero cost! Plus, Ton is an extremely approachable person and willing to listen. He doesn't only talk to 'big studios' (who seemingly are all going bankrupt, or laying off people) he see's that a good idea is a good idea no matter where it comes from. A lot of people could learn from that.
Hirazi there is training out there that will get you past the interface block, there is both paid and free material that will surely help you. Just try to approach it with an open mind, which maybe hard at first, after years of other apps.
As for Lightwave being close to Blender, it much more closer to Modo, as they had the same people develop it. Many of the modeling commands are the same, as pure modeling programs both are very fast. But Modo has progressed beyond with it's sculpting, painting, procedural particle nodes and much much more.
Best of luck with the UI training.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
That's a sweet quote, I love it!Hirazi Blue wrote:And BTW and as an aside, Blender isn’t an option… I don’t like Blender and it doesn’t like me! And Blender is the true Autodesk of Open Source: it gobbles up most of the interesting open source development in 3D, forcing Ton Roosendaals weird fantasy of how a User Interface should work upon it and the unsuspecting world.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
It seems the faith of brother Hirazi isn't so highluceric wrote:That's a sweet quote, I love it!Hirazi Blue wrote:And BTW and as an aside, Blender isn’t an option… I don’t like Blender and it doesn’t like me! And Blender is the true Autodesk of Open Source: it gobbles up most of the interesting open source development in 3D, forcing Ton Roosendaals weird fantasy of how a User Interface should work upon it and the unsuspecting world.
On the other side, looking at sooo precise list of Cinema 4D features, this modifier goes in this version, that modifier in that version, comparing all that to what Blender offers.... I don't know. BTW, Blender too, once they went into simulations, animation seems to be forgotten.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
IMHO blender need some refinement in workflow. I.E. for deselect you need to press A key, or for selecting a island polygons need to press Crt+L and, other weird selection stuff, cannot click and drag for select more items but need to click for every edge/polygon/points... you have the option of paint selection, but is a "special" tool, so click C key and can click and drag, but the viewport freeze, so, if you need multiple selection, need to enter in paint mode (press C), paint your selection, exit paint mode, rotate your viewport, enter again in paint mode e select other polygons...
Another weird workflow idea is add or subtract selection all pressing shift key+mouse click, in others applications (like modo) you click CRTL for subtract by your selection, in this way you must be very careful when want add or subtract by your selected items, edges etc. etc.
Also, viewport is very weak (and disabling VBO and the other tricks don't save the situation on my machine)
Another weird workflow idea is add or subtract selection all pressing shift key+mouse click, in others applications (like modo) you click CRTL for subtract by your selection, in this way you must be very careful when want add or subtract by your selected items, edges etc. etc.
Also, viewport is very weak (and disabling VBO and the other tricks don't save the situation on my machine)
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
If we are talking about Blender, standard mode for border or circle select tool (circle is "paint", I suppose) is additive (RMB or LMB, whatever is your preference), middle button is de-select. For a long time.Nizar wrote: Another weird workflow idea is add or subtract selection all pressing shift key+mouse click, in others applications (like modo) you click CRTL for subtract by your selection, in this way you must be very careful when want add or subtract by your selected items, edges etc. etc.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Cinema 4d r15?
I talking about blender. I know the paint selection option, but this don't cage what I think about, freezing the viewport during the process is strange for me, also is questionable the idea of A key for select deselect all (and the other little annoying workflow things)Mathaeus wrote:If we are talking about Blender, standard mode for border or circle select tool (circle is "paint", I suppose) is additive (RMB or LMB, whatever is your preference), middle button is de-select. For a long time.Nizar wrote: Another weird workflow idea is add or subtract selection all pressing shift key+mouse click, in others applications (like modo) you click CRTL for subtract by your selection, in this way you must be very careful when want add or subtract by your selected items, edges etc. etc.