Softimage2014?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Bellsey » 28 Feb 2013, 13:57

luceric wrote:I don't even know if Mark (of Planet Softimage) still works at Autodesk or just on his volkswagen. Do you know, Graham?
In any case, blogging rapidly becomes a burden, something you don't actually want to unless you're a marketing guys with stuff to push. Shawn Hendriks works in Marketing. Cory is in product management. Mark and Graham are sales technical product specialists.. on all sides blogging is an optional hobby
Yeah, Mark is still with us, but I don't know what he's been specifically working on, other than his VW. :)
Feb onwards is often the start of a busy few months for Autodesk, so I suspect like me, he's been getting ready during the lull before the storm.

Blogging though, isn't easy and it can become a burden if you can't maintain a regularity to your posts. It can be, essentially, a full time job and many people do this.
One of the most common things with blogs is, many people struggle with what to actually blog about. I try to make my postings general, but relevent and not just constantly pimping Autodesk stuff. Though I admit, I've let my postings slip recently. My last one was early January, though I do have a good excuse in that my wife was in the final weeks of pregnancy. :)

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by dwigfor » 28 Feb 2013, 14:30

Bellsey wrote:my wife was in the final weeks of pregnancy. :)
Congrats, Graham! :ymparty: :ymhug:

:ymdevil: :(( X( =))

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by McNistor » 28 Feb 2013, 15:19

graphmode wrote:The interface seems to be unchanged (Although much is expected). Camera sequence feature looks good. But it does not sound like a very important thing to me.
Softimage users had many serious request. I hope the developers thought that all these things.
I hope that does not frustrate all the expectations. Otherwise, continue in the same way ...
Tell us more, forget about NDA and other ridiculous stuff. :ymcowboy:
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Nizar » 28 Feb 2013, 15:27

best wishes to you, your wife and your son Mr. Bellsey :)

Hope in this release AD put some love into Softimage. Recently discovered can archive my projects in Blender and Modo, so if I don't see some nice news into 2014 release I will not renew subscription.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by angus_davidson » 28 Feb 2013, 15:47

Bellsey wrote: as my wife was in the final weeks of pregnancy. :)
Congrats mate. all the best for all of you.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Maximus » 28 Feb 2013, 16:29

Nizar wrote:best wishes to you, your wife and your son Mr. Bellsey :)

Hope in this release AD put some love into Softimage. Recently discovered can archive my projects in Blender and Modo, so if I don't see some nice news into 2014 release I will not renew subscription.
Just for your information, you probably are well aware that after they release 2014 you wont be able to renew your sub, they usually release the new version after the year sub expires.
In this case you would find yourself in the situation of upgrade from 2013 to 2014, meaning you would pay a lot of money.
You might want to contact your reseller just in case for clarifications :)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Feb 2013, 16:37

Nope, you can renew your Subscription when IT ( = the Subscription) expires, the release of Softimage versions does have nothing to do with it. The original start date of your subscription sets its end date and the limit to when you can still renew... I for instance have a contract that expires in May...
AFAIK
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Rez007 » 28 Feb 2013, 18:21

Congrats Bellsey!
Hirazi Blue wrote:Nope, you can renew your Subscription when IT ( = the Subscription) expires, the release of Softimage versions does have nothing to do with it. The original start date of your subscription sets its end date and the limit to when you can still renew... I for instance have a contract that expires in May...
AFAIK
;)
That is correct. You are also not locked into any reseller, so you can search to see which one you like best. You also have until 30days past your experation date to renew your Sub without paying the $100 late fee. Although, when you do renew, it will be retro-active to your normal start/end time. In addition, you can also pay a little extra (per month additionally) if you want to shift your start/end date to a different month. I did this with my reseller, so my renewal falls after Siggraph, which prior to this my renewal was right before. Also, I might be wrong here someone correct me if I am, but if a title is announced within your subscription frame you are entitled to recieve that as well - i.e. 2014 will be announced March 26th-27th 2013, but might actually ship on a later date, I think if your Sub expires within the announcement and actual shipping, you still get that release...I think that is what a reseller told me, so please don't qoute me on it for sure... :)

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Maximus » 28 Feb 2013, 19:54

Thats not what my reseller told me, but i'm gonna inform myself again since its quite different from what i've been told.

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Rez007 » 28 Feb 2013, 20:26

Maximus wrote:Thats not what my reseller told me, but i'm gonna inform myself again since its quite different from what i've been told.
I am just going by what I experienced myself. You could also call Autodesk directly and ask them as they would be the most official in this case.

Everything I mentioned I have done/experienced, except for the last part about receiving a title when a subscription totally expires within the announcement/shipping timeframe, because I never went past the 30day grace period, so I never got to the point of being fully canceled.

Ahmidou
Posts: 106
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 13:00

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Ahmidou » 28 Feb 2013, 23:19

Bullit wrote:Camera Sequencer Js. I got it from xsibase, if you want i can send it to you.
I also think camera switcher ICE compound does it. http://xsisupport.com/area-softimage-co ... d-plugins/
Also this https://vimeo.com/52976656 and this https://vimeo.com/51907668
The camera sequencer is more advanced and integrated than those. Actually it's a great addition, maybe not for commercials, but for film, series, previs, game cinematics( realtime or not).
It's a faster way to setup and edit animatics shot sequences, and time is money...

Cheers
A.
Last edited by Ahmidou on 01 Mar 2013, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Letterbox » 01 Mar 2013, 01:01

As for the Camera Sequence, not to rain on the parade, but for those that use older versions, or for whatever reasons dont upgrade... There is good news... You already have it (at least to some degree)!

But here's the how to...
-----------------
Create a new camera
Set a key at frame 1

Move the camera
set a key at frame 12

Menu - Animate - Store - Animated parameters-Fcurves

Remember to check the box's at the bottom
1) Remove original Animation (on)
2) Add source as a clip in the mixer (on)

Now you can use the mixer to move them around in the time line, scale the timing (eg make it take twice as long, reverse it, ramp, cycle, blend etc). You can if you want to change the name from 'StoredFcvAction' to 'Camera1' etc, either in the dialog box, or later in the animation mixer menu 'clip properties'

*note you can do this with lights too, as well as camera, as well as geometry, in fact any model.
*note the mixer for all cameras, explained above will be placed at the screen root. And all will show together in the animation mixer, as they are contained globally in the 'Scene Model'.
*If you don't want the above, encompass the camera in a 'new model' from the model menu, then the mixer will be contained and localized within that model.
*note if you stack camera's in the animation mixer layers, the same effect applies as does in after effects, that being the item displayed is always the layer that has data in the current keyframe. You can use that effect to overlay cameras to jump cut (for example), as when the topmost sequence is completed it will continue from the next visible layer.

If you want to have all of the mixer camera items tied to one central camera and have the viewport switch, I believe the explanation (is?) was in the (older - chm) offline documentation. It will take a little skill in scripting, and only a few lines in either JS or VB to accomplish this, it might be on the mailing list or elsewhere.

Cheers.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Bullit » 01 Mar 2013, 13:24

Letterbox i posted a script alternative from Dan Lane for people to try in resource dump.
The camera sequencer is more advanced and integrated than those. Actually it's a great addition
I agree it is a necessary functionality that was missing.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Pancho » 01 Mar 2013, 13:26

Well,

I do have a small ice tree on one camera, which switches between several cameras. So, to present this as a sneak peak isn't really exciting, while it might come in handy. The max sneak is much more stunning.

graphmode
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Feb 2013, 11:07

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by graphmode » 01 Mar 2013, 13:49

Congratulations Bellsey. I wish you a healthy and happy life. :)

Some of the basic features required and expected for 2014 were as follows;

* new interface (color, icon, button, menu...)
* More powerful and new viewport (such as maya)
* internal painting and sculpting tools (such as modo)
* new hair system (ICE Strands based)
* stronger cloth ve fluid simulators
* Viewport MotionPath Editor
* functional texture tools
* faster material manager
* re-topology tools
* more modern modeling tools
* CDK upgrade (such as GEAR)
* internal pose/clip manager (such as Animstore, Shed or Maya Poseman)
* import/export speed up
* maybe muscle system

I really look forward to the SI 2014.

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Softimage2014?

Post by Superpositivo » 01 Mar 2013, 14:40

graphmode wrote:
Some of the basic features required and expected for 2014 were as follows;

* new interface (color, icon, button, menu...)
* More powerful and new viewport (such as maya)
* internal painting and sculpting tools (such as modo)
* new hair system (ICE Strands based)
* stronger cloth ve fluid simulators
* Viewport MotionPath Editor
* functional texture tools
* faster material manager
* re-topology tools
* more modern modeling tools
* CDK upgrade (such as GEAR)
* internal pose/clip manager (such as Animstore, Shed or Maya Poseman)
* import/export speed up
* maybe muscle system

I really look forward to the SI 2014.
Ok everything, but I really hope the point on the Maya Interface would be missed! I personally hate the Maya Interface, and maybe it's me, but at my eyes that looks old and clumsy.
Maybe the possibility to undock the panels and making a more personal workspace in a esasiest way than the actual. But I just love the SI Interface!