You are absolutely right, that is what you see in the Subs center and yes I agree, you would expect to see the latest version from the download. Why isn't Softimage 2011 SP1 there? Honestly I don't know.
But as I said, the Softimage 2011 service pack is not a Subscription only benefit, it's avaliable to all Softimage 2011 customers, at no extra cost
Subscription is an extra cost and therefore has extra and other benefits associated to it. Maybe the subs teams decided not to put it up there, for the time being, because the service pack is avaliable to everyone and of no extra benefit to Subs customers? I honestly don't know.
However, should the service pack be up there anyway, then personally I think it should be. But I don't control the subs center or the downloads. I'm sure there's very simple reason behind it.
please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying or thinking anyone, including you, is stupid....
I'm just offering a view and some simple logic.
If you want some explanation then contact the Subscription center team, and I'm sure they can give you more information.
SP1 has arrived
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SP1 has arrived
Okay, I see your point... (and I think you see mine
)
For anyone tuning in at a later time:
the original remark about me being stupid was mine and part of a post I replaced by my last one.
I got carried away, sorry!
For anyone tuning in at a later time:
the original remark about me being stupid was mine and part of a post I replaced by my last one.
I got carried away, sorry!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: SP1 has arrived
@ Graham,
And to make it even worse, try to find an SP form a previous version on the site after a new release.
I've been searching for 2010SP1 32/64, but on the AD site that seems impossible.
I do get lot's of t*****t links though
Please have -ALL- versions available on the Subscription page, this includes SP's, and make it simpler to find -anything- on the AD site.
rob
And to make it even worse, try to find an SP form a previous version on the site after a new release.
I've been searching for 2010SP1 32/64, but on the AD site that seems impossible.
I do get lot's of t*****t links though
Please have -ALL- versions available on the Subscription page, this includes SP's, and make it simpler to find -anything- on the AD site.
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SP1 has arrived
On the "Data & Downloads" site: 2010SP1
But, as I hope became clear from the previous discussion, I agree they should be in the subscription center also... ;)
But, as I hope became clear from the previous discussion, I agree they should be in the subscription center also... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: SP1 has arrived
And off course, after retrying to search for SP1, that same link appears on the first hit
And yes, it should be there in Subscription in the first place
rob
And yes, it should be there in Subscription in the first place
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: SP1 has arrived
An SP or a hot fix is not a new entitlement, so it won't show up on the Subscription downloads. The Subscription Center is data-driven by account info. When there's a new entitlement (such as 2011, that required a new license), then that is automatically picked up when the download page is dynamically constructed.
If you had the "Check for Announcements and Updates" preference enabled, you would have been notified in NetView of the SP1 release.
Check for Announcements and Updates
Displays announcements and updates in the default Netview page. If this option is off, you can still click a link in the default Netview page to display them. If this option is on but Launch Netview on Startup is off, high-priority messages will still force Netview to open on startup.
Alternatively, you can subscribe to the RSS feed at http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/motd/rss_en.xml using an RSS-aware browser.
If you had the "Check for Announcements and Updates" preference enabled, you would have been notified in NetView of the SP1 release.
Check for Announcements and Updates
Displays announcements and updates in the default Netview page. If this option is off, you can still click a link in the default Netview page to display them. If this option is on but Launch Netview on Startup is off, high-priority messages will still force Netview to open on startup.
Alternatively, you can subscribe to the RSS feed at http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/motd/rss_en.xml using an RSS-aware browser.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: SP1 has arrived
In addition to what I was referring too in my earlier post, a simple email to notify me and other subscription members that a service pack release and or update is out would be great, and surely would not be difficult at all, is more-or-less the type of notification that one would/should expect when you are paying yearly for a product. Especially, when a Subscription Member is supposed to have "added benefits." As it is now, I get tons of Max and Maya notifications of events and such, and zero Softimage related material sent to my email. I have brought this up and other issues many, many times via the Autodesk surveys, write-ins and submissions via the proper channels, and recently when I was called by Autodesk to be asked about my experiences and or concerns about the Subscription Area, I also notified that person, and asked that person on the phone to have a manager or superior to at least send me an email to let me know that they were at least notified about my negative concerns...and guess what? Eventhough the person on the phone said I would definitely hear back from someone...still no response. Like I said before, a simple email notification should be expected and not too much to ask for at all.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SP1 has arrived
edit: removed my earlier comments, as I strongly feel this thread should just return to discussing the many many many many many bug fixes service pack 1 did deliver... (and maybe one or two it didn't!) ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
scottsch
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 23:55
Re: SP1 has arrived
I think it has been stated before that the infinite light doesn't have soft shadows because the shadow blurring is calculated in such a way that distance from the light source is taken into account, and an infinite light is theoretically an infinite distance from the ground plane, so no calculation for softness can be made. The alternative is to place a spot a great distance away from the ground plane, which will have the same effect as an infinite light and soft shadows.
Anyway, has anyone tried installing ONLY SP1 as the only installed version of Softimage? SP1 is not recognizing my license.
Anyway, has anyone tried installing ONLY SP1 as the only installed version of Softimage? SP1 is not recognizing my license.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SP1 has arrived
I'm afraid you'd have to provide a little more detail for any one of us to correctly diagnose this. In the meantime, this page on the Softimage WIKI neatly lists the "Support KB Articles" on one page, so you can do a page text search on "license" or "licensing" to get you to a whole lot of answers, one of which might even be the right one...
From your post I gather that you've already installed the software and that the problem is not caused by the "documentation bug" (now fixed), where it stated in the original accompanying readme-pdf that you can use "000-00000000" as a serial number when installing the network version of Softimage 2011SP1.
If it, however, is: use the serial number you got with the original Softimage 2011.
From your post I gather that you've already installed the software and that the problem is not caused by the "documentation bug" (now fixed), where it stated in the original accompanying readme-pdf that you can use "000-00000000" as a serial number when installing the network version of Softimage 2011SP1.
If it, however, is: use the serial number you got with the original Softimage 2011.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
eternal art
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:48
- Location: UAE - Abu Dhabi
Re: SP1 has arrived
It's in mental ray in Maya , three version ago .scottsch wrote:I think it has been stated before that the infinite light doesn't have soft shadows because the shadow blurring is calculated in such a way that distance from the light source is taken into account, and an infinite light is theoretically an infinite distance from the ground plane, so no calculation for softness can be made.
3D Supervisor - Production House .