Skin Shader Workshop
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
(almost) no SSS was harmed...
First of all, let me remind you all: I am merely a hobbyist with no discernible talent whatsoever, in short a dilettante when it comes to actually creating some “nice” pictures with SI. Secondly, I do not like hyperrealism as such, I’m personally more into stuff like expressionism, of which there is way too little of in the wonderful world of CG. After these two sorry excuses I still wanted to present you with my second attempt at shading the human head provided by oglu. My 2D map painting skill are even worse than my general 3D skills, so naturally I was looking for a cheap way out of this challenge without using any maps. That’s why I abandoned my attempt at using the SSS skin shader (for now) and used an old skin shader I found on the internet as the basis for the rendertree I used to create this picture. In the end I decided to cheat as I used a “misss_skin_specular” shader to add some specularity to the mix… Next up I’ll probably try my hand at the SSS shaders once more, but I doubt I’m going to dare to share the results (especially after the following remarks…
)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Skin Shader Workshop
Hahaha and I thought I was overdefensive 
For specular, I never use sss. A way superior shader is Binary Alchemy Oily Specular.
You can achieve a similar effect by combining a gradient with T2S Lafortune shader, but it will take a lot of work.
But either way, it requires a map, because no parameter, specular or otherwise, can be so mathematically uniform on human skin. You need to disturb the uniformity in all ways natural
For specular, I never use sss. A way superior shader is Binary Alchemy Oily Specular.
You can achieve a similar effect by combining a gradient with T2S Lafortune shader, but it will take a lot of work.
But either way, it requires a map, because no parameter, specular or otherwise, can be so mathematically uniform on human skin. You need to disturb the uniformity in all ways natural
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Skin Shader Workshop
Thanks for the suggestions... I can't seem to find a T2S LaFortune shader for 64 bit, but the Binary Alchemy one will be tested ASAP.
edit: Apparently the LaFortune shader is "included" in the T2S Illumination shader, which is available for 64 bit (link)
BTW: about my over defensiveness: you're right, of course. But I'm always humbled by the work all you (wannabe) professionals produce, making it hard for me to dare show my own experiments. I'm clearly better off moderating and answering questions (in fact that's obviously the only reason I bought SI in the first place...
)
edit: Apparently the LaFortune shader is "included" in the T2S Illumination shader, which is available for 64 bit (link)
BTW: about my over defensiveness: you're right, of course. But I'm always humbled by the work all you (wannabe) professionals produce, making it hard for me to dare show my own experiments. I'm clearly better off moderating and answering questions (in fact that's obviously the only reason I bought SI in the first place...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Skin Shader Workshop
Anyone else interested in joining this workshop
or should we simply turn it into a "give this guy some hair" workshop?
or should we simply turn it into a "give this guy some hair" workshop?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Skin Shader Workshop
I am very much willing to join.
Just give me a tiny bit of time.
'have been tied up in so many things.
Not sure why nobody else is responding though...
Just give me a tiny bit of time.
'have been tied up in so many things.
Not sure why nobody else is responding though...
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
ximage
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 08:49
Re: Skin Shader Workshop

hey guys
thought id have a little go at this. have not really had played with the SSS before. this is just the normal SS material shader. i thought this had some problems with FG with doubling the gamma but it seems to be working fine.
this isnt done in one shader. its done in a couple of passes, SSS - AO - two spec passes - shadow pass. i think thats all. didnt bother with the eys...yet.
as you can see the texture isnt finished, this was just a quick go. couple of hours using some photos for the texture.
il try and finish it and do a turn table.
comp together in After effects.
cheers
ximage
-
Gabba
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 18 Apr 2010, 12:31
Re: Skin Shader Workshop
How did you get it to work? I have the same problem =(Hirazi Blue wrote:I like the "eman" version very much...![]()
Note to self: get the eman ez-fastskin to work on my workstation also... ;)
-
izze
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 18:02
Re: Skin Shader Workshop
I believe I just put the SPDL in my \application\spdl dir in my workgroup. I pretty sure I am using the one located here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wmg2ynggtmz
http://www.mediafire.com/?wmg2ynggtmz
-
Gabba
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 18 Apr 2010, 12:31
Re: Skin Shader Workshop
Now it work here, just needed to restart XSI ;)izze wrote:I believe I just put the SPDL in my \application\spdl dir in my workgroup. I pretty sure I am using the one located here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wmg2ynggtmz