April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by MauricioPC » 08 Apr 2015, 22:55

Mathaeus wrote:While entire concept is unfair for freelancers, actually is not when it comes to employees - leasing allows easier introduction of new software into facility, including exotic things too.
I hope for that ... than maybe the Maya houses will employ me as a Max user! :P

nodeway

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by nodeway » 09 Apr 2015, 04:35

Mathaeus wrote: About 'dark side', expressed by AD maintenance subscription, I have impression that sooner or later, others will follow Adobe and AD example, so avoiding to communicate with big brother today, is only leading to dependency of some smaller big brother, later.
While entire concept is unfair for freelancers, actually is not when it comes to employees - leasing allows easier introduction of new software into facility, including exotic things too.
Yeah, the problem is that I'm looking at Autodesk thru prismat of Pixologic and Side Effects. I started with Houdini around 2007, and I never felt that this company is ripping me in the ass. The same is true for Pixologic. Soo... I really prefer those smaller big brothers than this big one.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Mathaeus » 09 Apr 2015, 11:15

mantragora wrote: Yeah, the problem is that I'm looking at Autodesk thru prismat of Pixologic and Side Effects. I started with Houdini around 2007, and I never felt that this company is ripping me in the ass. The same is true for Pixologic. Soo... I really prefer those smaller big brothers than this big one.
Yeah I'm also happy Indie user. Nothing new, that users of cheap or free apps are always happy. I'm pretty sure, users of apps with similar value to H Indie, like Autodesk Fusion 360, Autodesk 123, Autodesk.. whatever else cheap... are happy too. I've been even more happy as fanatic supporter of free POV-Ray, long time ago. But, once the price goes up to 995$ or 2495$ annual plan, story became different. Almost impossible for me, to see these 995 or 2495 variances in everyday work, that's small problem.
Back to Modo, It will be interesting how far they will go with these 'upgrades' of price.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Bullit » 09 Apr 2015, 21:34

There is no problem with renting, it is welcome. The problem is when renting is the only option.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by MauricioPC » 18 Apr 2015, 14:51

Modo 901 will support OpenVDB. That is great for those considering a Modo + Houdini pipeline. Not that Mantra isn't good, but if Modo render is actually as faster as it's been advertised, than this will be great.


User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Apr 2015, 22:11

By the way Open VDB can do a lot alone, or at least with support of basic procedural textures. Read somewhere that's possible to render mud, which probably tells that they added support for VDB meshing, too. Or this is also a volume rendering, don't know.
In any case, for many Modo users, should be more elegant to do not waste time or money, trying to do basic smokes and mud in Houdini.
Even Open VDB thing in Houdini is more elegantly organized than old volumes (for my taste), most likely because it is not a product of Side Effects - still is not free of typical over complicating, and devastating influence of technical junkies. VDB deserves an user friendly host. Personally I can live with H implementation, but this is just me...

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by MauricioPC » 23 Apr 2015, 18:22

It's not Modo 901, but pretty impressive.