Filling in the holes-
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Filling in the holes-
Vimeo has a lot of softimage ICE stuff, also i think there here in the forum threads about folding.
-
slowdive
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52
Re: Filling in the holes-
yesBullit wrote:Vimeo has a lot of softimage ICE stuff, also i think there here in the forum threads about folding.
this could be what you are referring to?
https://vimeo.com/44648941
Paper folding in ICE 1
https://vimeo.com/25096113
I tried before with shapes and a bunch of rigs on a pre-sliced grid but it was hugely a pain in the ass about half way. no way of managing creases properly without bevel and intersecting geometry once you fold the grid more than twice on itself. it starts to get really difficult to manage the deformations. I tried this just by hand and it was really frustrating. But I also didn't have any ICE either.
-
slowdive
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52
Re: Filling in the holes-
so The past weeks endeavor is trying to do a standing crane in xsi with a folding style. so its actually gonna fold step by step till the end,
problem is? how the hell do i do the creases?! lol
maybe a normalmap?
also if i do the ice nodes do i daisy chain them? or just port copies of each operator seperately as i go down the order??
do state machines even operate with non particle simulated ice trees?
I don't expect answers to these questions since ill be looking myself for one,
I just figured I'd put down what I am thinking about the whole thing.
Wish me lucks!
------------------------------
yeah folding a grid onto itself more than once well expect to have to subdivide a lot to compensate, at least 2>4 levels depending on how many foldings are actually occuring. Also doing this the hard way so no camera move or speed up trick or moblur atm.
problem is? how the hell do i do the creases?! lol
maybe a normalmap?
also if i do the ice nodes do i daisy chain them? or just port copies of each operator seperately as i go down the order??
do state machines even operate with non particle simulated ice trees?
I don't expect answers to these questions since ill be looking myself for one,
I just figured I'd put down what I am thinking about the whole thing.
Wish me lucks!
------------------------------
yeah folding a grid onto itself more than once well expect to have to subdivide a lot to compensate, at least 2>4 levels depending on how many foldings are actually occuring. Also doing this the hard way so no camera move or speed up trick or moblur atm.
-
slowdive
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52
Re: Filling in the holes-
Ok, so I got somewhere, and I didn't.
Now I did some things in ICE, probably wont exactly wow anyone but here goes.
so i got to around the petal fold.
but I don't know how to do in ICE. its folding a larger grid onto itself while the sides come outwards making a square shape with respect to its volume or edge length.
Maybe I should just make a seperate topic for this?
I have been watching stephen Blair and Paul smith but I haven't hit that part yet I guess.
Now I did some things in ICE, probably wont exactly wow anyone but here goes.
so i got to around the petal fold.
but I don't know how to do in ICE. its folding a larger grid onto itself while the sides come outwards making a square shape with respect to its volume or edge length.
Maybe I should just make a seperate topic for this?
I have been watching stephen Blair and Paul smith but I haven't hit that part yet I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
slowdive
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52
Re: Filling in the holes-
Hi everyone
regrettably due to issue I had to let go of this particular endeavor-
but I am still learning a lot about xsi and ICE
past few weeks included
custom framebuffers and shaders for custom buffers
nesting framebuffers into passes
linear workflow* but I guess thats pretty standard for everyone here right
some basic ice nodes and data access
and how passes end up in composite- how to get rid of edge halo artifact etc.
regrettably due to issue I had to let go of this particular endeavor-
but I am still learning a lot about xsi and ICE
past few weeks included
custom framebuffers and shaders for custom buffers
nesting framebuffers into passes
linear workflow* but I guess thats pretty standard for everyone here right
some basic ice nodes and data access
and how passes end up in composite- how to get rid of edge halo artifact etc.
-
slowdive
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52
Re: Filling in the holes-
ok Today was actually not that bad
Vimeo has a lot of nice stuff for ICE, Paul's videos especially look pretty cool.
also ran through this set I don't know if this is of any help to anyone but
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks/in ... e_modeling
there it is. I can't say I am a consistant softimage user, but I sure as hell come back to it a lot more recently.
going to try some of that hip "mograph" looking stuff I see more of lately.
maybe I can make a bunch of random extrudes follow a path and color them over time or something. -.-
Vimeo has a lot of nice stuff for ICE, Paul's videos especially look pretty cool.
also ran through this set I don't know if this is of any help to anyone but
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks/in ... e_modeling
there it is. I can't say I am a consistant softimage user, but I sure as hell come back to it a lot more recently.
going to try some of that hip "mograph" looking stuff I see more of lately.
maybe I can make a bunch of random extrudes follow a path and color them over time or something. -.-
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Filling in the holes-
Look at tutorial links here in the forum, there is a lot of stuff.
And vimeo has many stuf, even from 4 years ago is very useful.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SoftimageHowTos
And vimeo has many stuf, even from 4 years ago is very useful.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SoftimageHowTos
Last edited by Bullit on 03 Oct 2013, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
-
slowdive
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52
Re: Filling in the holes-
Thats pretty dope.
I will take a look at this for a bit
I will take a look at this for a bit