small annoying things

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: small annoying things

Post by gustavoeb » 25 Apr 2013, 22:47

yeah, sounds like pinning would do it... and people have been missing it for years! (or is it just me?)
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: small annoying things

Post by McNistor » 25 Apr 2013, 22:51

A separate stack would be more useful so you can FreezeM without losing the op.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Acrobat
Posts: 31
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 21:50

Re: small annoying things

Post by Acrobat » 25 Apr 2013, 23:14

The discussion becoming too technical for me, the only thing I can say a real mirror can be very useful (but not vital)

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: small annoying things

Post by iamVFX » 26 Apr 2013, 04:31

luceric wrote:the fact you cannot "pin" operators at the top of the modeling region is a missing workflow, it isn't a an architectural flaw. the architecture supports that, as evidence with all the markers.
yea, like multithreaded repeat, right? how that happens when one guy in a few months making his own node system with multithreaded repeat loops and the team of programmers can't do that for existing architecture for several years?

grahamef
Posts: 281
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01

Re: small annoying things

Post by grahamef » 26 Apr 2013, 15:47

iamVFX wrote:yea, like multithreaded repeat, right? how that happens when one guy in a few months making his own node system with multithreaded repeat loops and the team of programmers can't do that for existing architecture for several years?
Repeat nodes are already multi-threaded. Turn on the timers and compare the numbers. The results for Top Thread and All Threads are different.

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: small annoying things

Post by iamVFX » 26 Apr 2013, 16:20

grahamef wrote:The results for Top Thread and All Threads are different.
Yeah, now look at the result of a top thread :D No surprise there, the looping itself is an iterative single threaded process, but the nodes which are calcualte stuff for a loop are multithreaded.

It's obviously an architecture issue, of course you can do anything in a software development, but when it comes to writing a lot of stuff to make the thing work in a system which doesn't suppose to do that by it's design, Autodesk engineers drop the ball here so far. Instead we seeing the easy tricks with HQV (a shader generator, basically. is it even opengl 4? if it is, it's the most ugliest implementation i've seen so far) and Crowd stuff, which are piled on top of not that fast and polished architecture. I wish I'm wrong and we'll see lightning fast stuff in the future. The future can be bright, but the present is... You know, a SP2 for the price of full release. Enjoy your 2014

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: small annoying things

Post by luceric » 26 Apr 2013, 16:46

Acrobat wrote:The discussion becoming too technical for me, the only thing I can say a real mirror can be very useful (but not vital)
Absolutely, mirror would be a great feature.

I'm not in front of Softimage now, but couldn't this be simulated by creating an Instance of the object and scaling it in negative X? Then you can make that instance non-selectable

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: small annoying things

Post by gustavoeb » 26 Apr 2013, 19:58

what about the middle unwelded section... I really dont mind, but I know a bunch of picky modelers who do
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: small annoying things

Post by rray » 26 Apr 2013, 20:04

For me that mirroring instance method is working out fine too.

Acrobat if you don't mind making this a general purpose "small annoying things" thread?

My biggest gripe which a developer could probably fix in a few minutes would be this....

I'm trying to create a polygon between two edges, this is what happens.

Image

It sometimes turns out to be reaaly difficult.... no I don't want to snap the new polygon to those internal points in the background! 8-x

Admittedly, somewhat exaggerated in a infomercial kind of way, but this happens way too often
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

grahamef
Posts: 281
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01

Re: small annoying things

Post by grahamef » 26 Apr 2013, 20:26

gustavoeb wrote:what about the middle unwelded section... I really dont mind, but I know a bunch of picky modelers who do
Instead of scaling an instance by -1, use a clone and apply a Symmetrize op. The Weld option is on by default. Make the clone unselectable so that you are only working on the original.

To avoid z-buffer artefacts, apply a Display property to make the original always wireframe and turn off Override Object Properties in the viewports.

Acrobat
Posts: 31
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 21:50

Re: small annoying things

Post by Acrobat » 26 Apr 2013, 20:31

luceric wrote:
Acrobat wrote:The discussion becoming too technical for me, the only thing I can say a real mirror can be very useful (but not vital)
Absolutely, mirror would be a great feature.

I'm not in front of Softimage now, but couldn't this be simulated by creating an Instance of the object and scaling it in negative X? Then you can make that instance non-selectable
Yes, it work, is the solution proposed by Mcnistor.
Acrobat if you don't mind making this a general purpose "small annoying things" thread?
what the problem? I'm a guest here :)

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: small annoying things

Post by McNistor » 26 Apr 2013, 20:33

luceric wrote:
Acrobat wrote:The discussion becoming too technical for me, the only thing I can say a real mirror can be very useful (but not vital)
Absolutely, mirror would be a great feature.

I'm not in front of Softimage now, but couldn't this be simulated by creating an Instance of the object and scaling it in negative X? Then you can make that instance non-selectable
You don't usually read the thread you're posting to, do you?! :)

Why make it unselectable? XSI is not Maya where you can accidentally select an object even though you're in sub-object mode of another object... :ymdevil:
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Acrobat
Posts: 31
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 21:50

Re: small annoying things

Post by Acrobat » 30 Apr 2013, 17:57

another issue: I like to assign shortcut to any tool I using frequently. Actually my main study is upon modellin, an I add cubr o one shortcut, but cannot find cylinder into keymapping editor...

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: small annoying things

Post by Nizar » 02 May 2013, 15:55

I cannot find into keymapping editor this tools: extrude along normal and apply thikness

Another strange things is I cannot put softimage icon into windows bar (I using windows 7)

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: small annoying things

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 02 May 2013, 16:31

Nizar wrote: Another strange things is I cannot put softimage icon into windows bar (I using windows 7)
You cannot "pin" it, since Si is started by a batch, but you can make a regular link.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: small annoying things

Post by Superpositivo » 02 May 2013, 18:01

Nizar wrote: Another strange things is I cannot put softimage icon into windows bar (I using windows 7)
You cannot drag in it. But you can still pin it by the context menu, with right click on the icon on the taks bar..when you start Softimage.