ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Falam

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by Falam » 22 Mar 2013, 03:18

This video will show what I mean.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by xsisupport » 22 Mar 2013, 10:13

Image
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Falam

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by Falam » 22 Mar 2013, 15:02

xsisupport wrote:Image
The object continues to jump, and to add fuel to the fire, it now shrinks ~x(

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by xsisupport » 22 Mar 2013, 15:14

Give me a repro model/scene/script and maybe I can do something about it.
thx
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

grahamef
Posts: 281
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by grahamef » 22 Mar 2013, 16:43

Falam wrote:This video will show what I mean.
The points (not the object itself) move because you are multiplying their positions by a matrix. That's exactly what you should expect, in fact the reason why you'd multiply by a matrix is precisely because you want them to move.

So I have to repeat Stephen's question, why are you moving them if you don't want them to move?

It seems this is part of a bigger problem that you are trying to solve, and perhaps not going about it the right way. What's the bigger picture?

Falam

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by Falam » 22 Mar 2013, 18:08

grahamef wrote:
Falam wrote:This video will show what I mean.
The points (not the object itself) move because you are multiplying their positions by a matrix. That's exactly what you should expect, in fact the reason why you'd multiply by a matrix is precisely because you want them to move.

So I have to repeat Stephen's question, why are you moving them if you don't want them to move?

It seems this is part of a bigger problem that you are trying to solve, and perhaps not going about it the right way. What's the bigger picture?
The bigger picture is this; literally :)
Image

When the parent moves the child 'wrinkles', crinkle up, when the parent moves the child 'wrinkles' stretch out, not to the point where it's perfectly straight, where there is some slight bump. It's very similar to the tension map except it looks like this; where it's a hard edge object.
Image

If you stretches the bus, the 'wrinkle' would be there but not as strong. There is one last thing, this wrinkle effect happens when the child 'collides' with another object compressing between the parent and another object that is static.

My object has the 'wrinkle' modeled, and a point cluster where it should even out to a degree, not where it becomes a perfectly straight box, remember that :) The collision part, that I'm not sure of , I'm guessing one of the geometry nodes :-\ I tried syflex and lagoa, they are both more geared towards 'softer' objects.

Falam

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by Falam » 31 Mar 2013, 15:08

I've posted another video, not have much luck with this. Although I did create my first ICE compound, which I'll post soon :)

The object on the right in the video is the parent, the object in the middle (yes both of them) are children of the parent. The object to the left is a static object, neither a parent or a child. It is obvious when the parent moves in the video, so do the children, what the problem is, the children do not "squeeze / compress" (or whatever word you like to call it) when it makes contact with the static object ? Other thing, I modeled in the deform, I realize it would look better if weight map would do most of work, and I simply have a box with either a weight map on the entire object, or divided segments ?

Falam

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by Falam » 05 Apr 2013, 04:36

I'm in need to break down this ice tree,how it works. I apply two cubes to the geometry ports, I don't notice anything happening ?

Image

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by NNois » 05 Apr 2013, 13:42

Hey, what you are trying is perfectly doable with ice but... Looking at your video and until you want wrinkles stretching independantaly wouldn't it be 100 times more easy do do it with a simple morph drived with some linked parameters ? are you aware of this on softimage ?
http://download.autodesk.com/global/doc ... d30e171067

Falam

Re: ICE Center Moves & Clusters

Post by Falam » 05 Apr 2013, 13:54

@NNos - Yes I am aware of shapes / morph and linked parameters. There is one problem I want the effect (as in the bus image) to have a slight hang. The bus is 'accordion' effect is rigid it has to be, I suppose, what if there was a little hang in that 'accordion' on the bus, that is what I want, but only a little. If you stretch an accordion the ridges stretch out if you push it close they bunch up. Nothing grande, the ICE tree posted, does what I want, nearly exactly I'm having problems which geometry to input, I've tried the geometry in my scene it doesn't work ?