Houdini 12.5

New plugins, tools etc.
angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Houdini 12.5

Post by angus_davidson » 15 Mar 2013, 21:10

I agree that the sub based system can be very expensive in he long run, but Its unlikely that as a small business you would go directly onto subscription. You initial outlay should be part of you business plan , along with your hardware etc. Once you have a decent revenue stream, you can look at either upgrading or going the subscription route.

At the end of the day , laying out $3000 for something that lets say can earn you $35 000 a year isn't a bad investment.

10 years ago I payed a lot of money for a dual G5 mac Pro (it was my first mac). Its main task was to process lots and lots of video footage. Because I could now finish two to three jobs in the same time as I was able to do with my previous machine it paid for itself in 4 months (and in fact is still going strong as a sound studio machine). Never be afraid to invest in quality tools, whether it be hardware or software.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University