It is strange, it is a simple process. I switched to administrator account, and ran process monitor, nothing shows up in the Process Monitor window. I tried once again under standard account, nothing gets listed. It's not to say, I never had it working, at one point it was listed the processes running, I have it running at present and all that is happening is it's indexing, when I run Softimage, nothing shows up in the window. I watched your video on how to use process monitor and I curse at it, because yours works and mine is playing games.xsisupport wrote:Try running Process Monitor with a different user account: your Admin account, or perhaps a new Standard user account.
It seems rather strange that Process Monitor doesn't work.
Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
-
Falam
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
What does in say in the bottom left of the Process Monitor window?Falam wrote:It is strange, it is a simple process. I switched to administrator account, and ran process monitor, nothing shows up in the Process Monitor window. I tried once again under standard account, nothing gets listed. It's not to say, I never had it working, at one point it was listed the processes running, I have it running at present and all that is happening is it's indexing, when I run Softimage, nothing shows up in the window. I watched your video on how to use process monitor and I curse at it, because yours works and mine is playing games.xsisupport wrote:Try running Process Monitor with a different user account: your Admin account, or perhaps a new Standard user account.
It seems rather strange that Process Monitor doesn't work.
Usually it is something like
"Showing 243 of 82,333 events (0.9%)"
-
Falam
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
That is exactly what it shows in the bottom left of the Process Monitor Window, except it doesn't list any process running within the main portion of the program.xsisupport wrote:What does in say in the bottom left of the Process Monitor window?Falam wrote:It is strange, it is a simple process. I switched to administrator account, and ran process monitor, nothing shows up in the Process Monitor window. I tried once again under standard account, nothing gets listed. It's not to say, I never had it working, at one point it was listed the processes running, I have it running at present and all that is happening is it's indexing, when I run Softimage, nothing shows up in the window. I watched your video on how to use process monitor and I curse at it, because yours works and mine is playing games.xsisupport wrote:Try running Process Monitor with a different user account: your Admin account, or perhaps a new Standard user account.
It seems rather strange that Process Monitor doesn't work.
Usually it is something like
"Showing 243 of 82,333 events (0.9%)"
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
sorry for hijacking, but I had same problem on windows8.
Reinstalled xsi and ati drivers, and now xsi starts in 2 seconds (ssd) and thats with massive workgroup with tons of plugins&compounds!
moreover there is no "microlag" when opening for the first time various ppgs (like icetree, explorer) everything is instant
Reinstalled xsi and ati drivers, and now xsi starts in 2 seconds (ssd) and thats with massive workgroup with tons of plugins&compounds!
moreover there is no "microlag" when opening for the first time various ppgs (like icetree, explorer) everything is instant
-
Falam
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
I did reinstall Softimage on Windows7, not Windows8origin wrote:sorry for hijacking, but I had same problem on windows8.
Reinstalled xsi and ati drivers, and now xsi starts in 2 seconds (ssd) and thats with massive workgroup with tons of plugins&compounds!
moreover there is no "microlag" when opening for the first time various ppgs (like icetree, explorer) everything is instant
Origin - How do you like Windows8, I like it on the other box I use, most hate it or can't understand it. They compare it to Linux in complexity.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
I don't have an alternative, but I admit I did not spend much time looking for one.
If Process Monitor doesn't work, that suggests there may something not quite right with your system or your user profile/environment.
Did you try running Process Monitor under the Administrator account?
Did you reset the filters?
If you save a PML file, is it empty? How big is it?
Try using msconfig to do either a diagnostic or selective startup, and see if/when Process Monitor starts working.
EDIT: What the process tree in ProcMon (Tools > Process Tree) ...is it empty or does it show a lot of processes?
If Process Monitor doesn't work, that suggests there may something not quite right with your system or your user profile/environment.
Did you try running Process Monitor under the Administrator account?
Did you reset the filters?
If you save a PML file, is it empty? How big is it?
Try using msconfig to do either a diagnostic or selective startup, and see if/when Process Monitor starts working.
EDIT: What the process tree in ProcMon (Tools > Process Tree) ...is it empty or does it show a lot of processes?
-
Falam
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
I got it working, I didn't clear the filterxsisupport wrote:I don't have an alternative, but I admit I did not spend much time looking for one.
If Process Monitor doesn't work, that suggests there may something not quite right with your system or your user profile/environment.
Did you try running Process Monitor under the Administrator account?
Did you reset the filters?
If you save a PML file, is it empty? How big is it?
Try using msconfig to do either a diagnostic or selective startup, and see if/when Process Monitor starts working.
EDIT: What the process tree in ProcMon (Tools > Process Tree) ...is it empty or does it show a lot of processes?
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
The only things I see in the log are these:
- xsi.exe is starting with the -standalone flag. Where's that come from?
- the xsi.exe environment is missing all the environment variables from setenv.bat
- when Softimage starts, it is kinda a two stage process...first one xsi.exe process starts, does some stuff and exits, and then a second xsi.exe process starts. On your machine, both xsi.exe processes are still running (although the first one isn't doing anything)
I also notice you have multiple sessions going on (eg fast user switching with multiple user accounts).
On a low-end machine (like my Mom's) that would slow things down; I don't know if it matters on a decent computer.
On my machine right now, Softimage takes 90s to start up. On your machine, it takes 150s, one minute more.
- xsi.exe is starting with the -standalone flag. Where's that come from?
- the xsi.exe environment is missing all the environment variables from setenv.bat
- when Softimage starts, it is kinda a two stage process...first one xsi.exe process starts, does some stuff and exits, and then a second xsi.exe process starts. On your machine, both xsi.exe processes are still running (although the first one isn't doing anything)
I also notice you have multiple sessions going on (eg fast user switching with multiple user accounts).
On a low-end machine (like my Mom's) that would slow things down; I don't know if it matters on a decent computer.
On my machine right now, Softimage takes 90s to start up. On your machine, it takes 150s, one minute more.
-
Falam
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
Before Softimage executes it asks me "do you want to run Softimage standalone" this occurs only when I run Softimage from the task bar if I place an icon on my desktop it doesn't ask me this question before starting softimage ?xsisupport wrote:The only things I see in the log are these:
- xsi.exe is starting with the -standalone flag. Where's that come from?
- the xsi.exe environment is missing all the environment variables from setenv.bat
- when Softimage starts, it is kinda a two stage process...first one xsi.exe process starts, does some stuff and exits, and then a second xsi.exe process starts. On your machine, both xsi.exe processes are still running (although the first one isn't doing anything)
I also notice you have multiple sessions going on (eg fast user switching with multiple user accounts).
On a low-end machine (like my Mom's) that would slow things down; I don't know if it matters on a decent computer.
On my machine right now, Softimage takes 90s to start up. On your machine, it takes 150s, one minute more.
How do I add/fix Softimage so it adds the environment variables ? At the time I had Standard and an Administrator account open simultaneously, which is most likely the case, I doubt that has an effect on Softimage loading.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
You have to start Softimage by calling XSI.bat.
For the task bar, maybe there's a better way now, but two years ago I did it this way.
This won't necessarily speed up your startup.
2s to start up with a SSD drive?...maybe I should get myself one!
For the task bar, maybe there's a better way now, but two years ago I did it this way.
This won't necessarily speed up your startup.
2s to start up with a SSD drive?...maybe I should get myself one!
-
Falam
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
I have a few programs that load on start up, on this computer, I'm loading Win8 in 4.5 seconds, roughly on a SSD.xsisupport wrote:You have to start Softimage by calling XSI.bat.
For the task bar, maybe there's a better way now, but two years ago I did it this way.
This won't necessarily speed up your startup.
2s to start up with a SSD drive?...maybe I should get myself one!
-
Falam
Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow
Softimage continues to load extremely slow, any other ideas ?xsisupport wrote:You have to start Softimage by calling XSI.bat.
For the task bar, maybe there's a better way now, but two years ago I did it this way.
This won't necessarily speed up your startup.
2s to start up with a SSD drive?...maybe I should get myself one!