Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
I dont see any problem with Autodesk dropping vista after all Microsoft dropped supporting it themselves last year didnt they?
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
Inisheer
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 04:31
- Location: Maryland, USA
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
Microsoft typically supports their products for several years after it has been discontinued. For example, Visual Basic 6 and Windows XP were supported long after they were pulled from the shelves (although the continued support for XP was justified by the flop of Vista and rise of Netbooks).Tekano wrote:I dont see any problem with Autodesk dropping vista after all Microsoft dropped supporting it themselves last year didnt they?
More info about Vista support timeline here: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/ ... DOWS+VISTA
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
heheh so most of the vista entries are either not applicable or ended on
4/13/2010 with notes saying 'Buy Windows 7 now!'
the only support left until 2017 is for vista business enterprise, so I was pretty much correct!
4/13/2010 with notes saying 'Buy Windows 7 now!'
the only support left until 2017 is for vista business enterprise, so I was pretty much correct!
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
The system requirements are for the current release, so it won't be updated until a new major version is announced.Hirazi Blue wrote:Here's a friendly suggestion...
Mention the new policy on the Softimage System Requirements page,
as a courtesy to potential future customers, planning to buy Softimage (2013) in the near future
and who do not yet follow the forum banter (or xsisupport's twitter account).
Again: just a friendly suggestion, nothing more...
For now, it is here: http://usa.autodesk.com/support/system-requirements/.
I did already tweet this Vista news, but yeah, we should re-tweet and re-post when there's an announcement.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
Even a friendly suggestion of mine...
I do know (surprise!) what the current system requirements page is and that these requirements needn't necessarily be the same as the system requirements for future versions. You obviously don't think the system requirements page is one of the first things a new customer might turn to, making him believe/infer stuff about a future release (that according to luceric will support XP & 7, but not Vista), of which you might expect XP to be dropped, but not necessarily Vista ("ignorant" newcomer as the case might be). And to "mention the new policy" (as I put it) could simply mean adding one link to the page mentioned in my first post, not messing up your webpage.
P.S I'm refering to this System Requirements page, you would get to if you were (as a newcomer) looking for Softimage directly (via this page), missing the announcement you mention completely. And now please don't tell me the Softimage page is a bad place to start for a newcomer...
edit: yes, this is the second version of this post...
I do know (surprise!) what the current system requirements page is and that these requirements needn't necessarily be the same as the system requirements for future versions. You obviously don't think the system requirements page is one of the first things a new customer might turn to, making him believe/infer stuff about a future release (that according to luceric will support XP & 7, but not Vista), of which you might expect XP to be dropped, but not necessarily Vista ("ignorant" newcomer as the case might be). And to "mention the new policy" (as I put it) could simply mean adding one link to the page mentioned in my first post, not messing up your webpage.
P.S I'm refering to this System Requirements page, you would get to if you were (as a newcomer) looking for Softimage directly (via this page), missing the announcement you mention completely. And now please don't tell me the Softimage page is a bad place to start for a newcomer...
edit: yes, this is the second version of this post...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
i think you deleted my reply by mistake; but yeah adding a link to that new thing to the system req would be ok of course.
The news is going to be broadcast at the same when the 2013 announcements are made, when everyone is paying attention.
I was surprised by this decision, but I think this vista thing is not going to be huge deal.. Vista usage on adsk products have been dropping steadily and is now below 7% compared to other Windows version, and much less for Entertainment products. Windows 7 is above 40%, same as XP.
The products still installs on Vista, and it would only affect you if you ran Vista and if you ran into a vista-specific bug and would be eligible to get support for it. To put this in perspective, most clients are still on 2010 or 2011 versions.
The bit I found interesting in this thread is the resistance to Win7 because of the Task Bar. I think is this a problem with Softimage and other apps and you should log a request about that. If you are using these applications full screen and want everything hidden, then these applications should have a full screen mode (like, for example Lightroom), and in that case task bar will automatically completely hide. It's not really a bug in windows, more of a lack of refinement on the app's side.
Windows is already programmed to detect full screen applications and hide the task bar.
The news is going to be broadcast at the same when the 2013 announcements are made, when everyone is paying attention.
I was surprised by this decision, but I think this vista thing is not going to be huge deal.. Vista usage on adsk products have been dropping steadily and is now below 7% compared to other Windows version, and much less for Entertainment products. Windows 7 is above 40%, same as XP.
The products still installs on Vista, and it would only affect you if you ran Vista and if you ran into a vista-specific bug and would be eligible to get support for it. To put this in perspective, most clients are still on 2010 or 2011 versions.
The bit I found interesting in this thread is the resistance to Win7 because of the Task Bar. I think is this a problem with Softimage and other apps and you should log a request about that. If you are using these applications full screen and want everything hidden, then these applications should have a full screen mode (like, for example Lightroom), and in that case task bar will automatically completely hide. It's not really a bug in windows, more of a lack of refinement on the app's side.
Windows is already programmed to detect full screen applications and hide the task bar.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
Sorry, there really must have gone something wrong (technically?).luceric wrote:i think you deleted my reply by mistake
I deleted my own original previous post (and two of my own attempts from this thread on tuesday).
I obviously do not make a habit of deleting other people's posts,
except where Administrator duties force me to...
So, please take it from me,
your post was NOT deleted intentionally!
edit: shortened the text a little...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
JPWestmas
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 21:35
- Skype: Jason Westmas
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
<3 Windowz 7~!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
That remark is a little bit too cryptic to me. Please elaborate... 
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
JPWestmas
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 21:35
- Skype: Jason Westmas
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
Haha, sorry, it's gamer speak I guess. I'll do my best to be more descriptive next time.Hirazi Blue wrote:That remark is a little bit too cryptic to me. Please elaborate...
<3 = heart
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
Ah, I see... now I feel old! 
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
JPWestmas
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 04 Feb 2012, 21:35
- Skype: Jason Westmas
Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012
Or really young ;)
We're all young in my mind. How much could someone possibly learn in 72 years.
Not referring to myself, I'm 35.
We're all young in my mind. How much could someone possibly learn in 72 years.
Not referring to myself, I'm 35.