Work in Progress: Backyard
-
Diurno
- Posts: 242
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 07:50
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
from this point of view, the floor looks strange, it's like the diffuse and the bump are not aligned, it's possible?
i really like the mat of the chair? can you post an image of the render tree?
i really like the mat of the chair? can you post an image of the render tree?
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
Yeah I just noticed it myself when I tried to take those close-ups. Will look into it. I am using a pre-made bump map. May be it got shifted by a pixel or two somehow. I will have to make one myself perhaps.
There is no render tree to show, man. One diffuse, one bump. That's it, end of story. I used mia_material. No reflection, full roughness. Nothing else.
So, which of those to vases would you prefer? Or should I make it dirtier?
There is no render tree to show, man. One diffuse, one bump. That's it, end of story. I used mia_material. No reflection, full roughness. Nothing else.
So, which of those to vases would you prefer? Or should I make it dirtier?
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
Grubber
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
Hey, it is really up to youshushens wrote:So, which of those to vases would you prefer? Or should I make it dirtier?
Cheers!
-
Leo
- Posts: 128
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 15:06
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
Well there's supposed to be a candle in the vase for the night scene so that would be kinda defeating the point, wouldn't it?Grubber wrote:Hey, it is really up to youshushens wrote:So, which of those to vases would you prefer? Or should I make it dirtier?But for me it just does not fit into such scene. I think it should be made out of ceramic not glass.
Cheers!
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
Yeah I really love the idea of putting candles wherever I can lol. I am really old fashioned, which is odd, because I am not an old man or anything.
Here is a little candle-stand to put on the windowsill, because I figured, only that candle in the vase won't be enough to get a night scene lit.


Here is a little candle-stand to put on the windowsill, because I figured, only that candle in the vase won't be enough to get a night scene lit.


My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard

What do you think? This looks okay?
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
A little progress:

As always, I am sorry for being so slow.

As always, I am sorry for being so slow.
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
Looking very good!
One small "criticism"
, however:
I liked the old camera perspective way better than the new one,
but I guess this is more of an update viewpoint than a final shot...
One small "criticism"
I liked the old camera perspective way better than the new one,
but I guess this is more of an update viewpoint than a final shot...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
Oh yes, absolutely! I just wanted a test render with the candle in the middle, that's all 
And thank you very much!
And thank you very much!
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
Here is a better quality JPEG with a book on one of the armchairs:
And here is an uncompressed TIFF:
And here is an uncompressed TIFF:
Code: Select all
http://img193.imageshack.us/i/final0000.tif/You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
After some tonemapping and colour correction:
I let go of the glow because it looks nearly garish anyway. I am kinda confused whether to lower the upper luminance or let it stay like this. Certain parts are blown out, but when sun shines like this, that's only natural.
I've been staring at this for too long. I'd rather hear what you guys think.
Is the lighting okay now? And do I really have to change the bump? I am confused about how to change it, because I made it using CrazyBump with highest detail displacement. Even if I make it by hand, it's not very likely to look too different...
It does look a little blunt if you stare at it for long, but some walls do have that kinda look, no?
I let go of the glow because it looks nearly garish anyway. I am kinda confused whether to lower the upper luminance or let it stay like this. Certain parts are blown out, but when sun shines like this, that's only natural.
I've been staring at this for too long. I'd rather hear what you guys think.
Is the lighting okay now? And do I really have to change the bump? I am confused about how to change it, because I made it using CrazyBump with highest detail displacement. Even if I make it by hand, it's not very likely to look too different...
It does look a little blunt if you stare at it for long, but some walls do have that kinda look, no?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
As an image I like the not-color-corrected version better, because it sets more of a mood!
(but that's a very personal preference, obviously!)
Also the vase could ever so slightly stand behind the leg of the chair to make the setup slightly less "forced"...
(but that's a very personal preference, obviously!)
Also the vase could ever so slightly stand behind the leg of the chair to make the setup slightly less "forced"...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
There is still a little I want to do to this. When I am done, I will keep both
And attempt a night shot.
I could push it back a bit, but I haven't already because if I do a night scene, pushing it back will kinda defeat the cause.
Otherwise, I totally agree with you. I try my best to make the arrangements look casual and natural.
I could push it back a bit, but I haven't already because if I do a night scene, pushing it back will kinda defeat the cause.
Otherwise, I totally agree with you. I try my best to make the arrangements look casual and natural.
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
I am hoping I will get a little help from you guys. I am thinking of adding a sun-shed over this whole thing, which will not be visible, but some shadow and caustic effects (due to the glass) would show on the wall and on the armchairs, leaves, etc. It should have a slight similarity with the kind that's seen underwater, but not as much and not as intense.
I could keep trying to tweak it for hours and finally come up with a mediocre result. So I thought of asking you guys first. Is there a smart way of achieving this? May be there is some trick in Fusion or Photoshop which will alleviate the need of rendering caustics altogether?
I could keep trying to tweak it for hours and finally come up with a mediocre result. So I thought of asking you guys first. Is there a smart way of achieving this? May be there is some trick in Fusion or Photoshop which will alleviate the need of rendering caustics altogether?
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard
I have to agree, I also prefer the non-tonemapped version, but which ever way you slice it, a job well done.
Cheers
Terry
Cheers
Terry
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Work in Progress: Backyard

I have turned PhysicalSun off, and hid most of the geometry, for testing purposes. Used a zero intensity spotlight with white caustics of 500,000 intensity. The spots were looking too bright, so I have raised the IoR of the glass material drastically to tame it down a little (25).
But it is not looking very impressive, is it?
What should I do to make things more interesting?
And, if I use the Caustic pass to isolate the cuastics, why does other things like reflection still show? HDRI reflection is not working in Caustic pass, but geometry is still being reflected. Is that not uncalled for? I am supposed to add the caustics later in screen mode (if I want to composite separately, that is), right? But that here will affect the reflections as well.
So, what's the right workflow?
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger